Video Card

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Video Card

Post by RPG »

Right now I'm using an Intel graphics card (I can't even find out the model type), but it isn't the best and probably isn't heading in the upwards direction either. Our other computer with a Radeon $40 graphics card gives BZFlag 40FPS, while I, the hardcore player, am only playing on 10-15. It also tends to take a 'break' and stop rendering for a few seconds.

The point is I need a new video card. I've been saving up, I just don't know which one to get. I've heard GeForce cards are really good. I want the price to stay under $100, but something that I will be happy with for years to come. The most graphics intense game I play on this machine is 007:Nightfire, which is a lax compared to some of the other games on the market.

Do YOU have any sugguestions?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

does your computer even have an AGP slot?

you can get a number of nvidia cards under 100, your PC will determine what kind.
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Well, the computer I have right now doesn't [have an AGP slot], but I'm picking out parts for a new computer I want to build. I just gotta pick out which parts I want to get, and then I gotta make sure I have enough money, then I'll buy them all sometime this weekend.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm satisfied with nVidia

Post by Ice Wewe »

Yes,

nVidia (eVGA makes some of their cards) is well known. I have a GeForce FX 5200. Basically, if your computer doesn't have an AGP slot, your graphics aren't going to get better any time soon. But if you did want to buy a new video card, I would reccomend a GeForce FX 5200, 5500, 5700, and the 6000 model cards. They are all nice, my FX 5200 gives me about 40 FPS (FC2, P3 600, with most of the graphics on, about 20 FPS if you have mirror/rain on). They have FANTASIC drivers. Granted ATI makes nice cards too, but their drivers aren't quite as "user friendly" as nVidia's are. All you do to install one, is download it, exit X, go into root, "./nvidia-install" it runs, looks for a Kernel Mod, if it can't find a prebuilt one, which it generally doesn't, it makes its own. After that, all you have to do is edit your xorg.conf (make a backup!!!) with the new mods it wants you to laod, and poof, you have your video card working! (oh and make sure you use nvidia, NOT nv, nv is horrible!)
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

good choice, Nvida

Post by Supertanker »

Hi there! i have an nvidia card, too. it is a GeForCe 256 with 32 megs of ram. it works like a charm (agp). if you want cheep but good i reccoment it. howver im no0t fam,iliar with that game u mentioned, how much vid mem does it need?
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Now me since im a cheapy I got mine from a Computer Expo 128 Geforce 5200 I think.... I get about 50 to 60 fps and that also is with my dialup connection :(.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I got a 128MB ATI card from a local computer show... it works great, and it has a GPU on it that my video editing program can use, so it's got more than one plus.

Oh yeah, it runs BZFlag at about 80 FPS.