Can I Change the Tank Colors?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Wolf42
Private
Private

Can I Change the Tank Colors?

Post by Wolf42 »

I don't know if anyone else has this problem with the new release (2.0.0), but I can't see red tanks on the radar panel in the new release whether I'm green or red (yes, I'm color blind). The only real reason I mention this is that I didn't have this problem in previous releases, maybe because my own tank wasn't shown on my HUD, or possibly due to different display coloring.

Is it possible for me to change the display colors of tanks on my screen so that I can actually see the red tanks other than asking server admins to switch colors to blue and green etc (not bloody likely)? I'd REALLY like to stop shooting my own team because I can't seem them, or be able to see the opposing team before they're actually shooting at me.
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

If you are using Windows, under the data directory in the bzflag2.0.0 folder, you will find PNG format images ex. "green_tank.png"- tank color, "red_bolt.png" shot color... that you can change to your liking. It's labeled, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Good luck :?
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
Wolf42
Private
Private

Post by Wolf42 »

Thanks very much for the reply as I'm sure there are a few others that might have this problem as well :)

Unfortunately, I'm not running a windows box... Is there a way to do this in the OSX version? Sorry I didn't specify in my original post.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Wolf42 wrote:Thanks very much for the reply as I'm sure there are a few others that might have this problem as well :)

Unfortunately, I'm not running a windows box... Is there a way to do this in the OSX version? Sorry I didn't specify in my original post.
Yes, it's the same subdirectory of the main directory or folder where you have bzflag installed. You can use some free tool to edit the PNG format files.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
Wolf42
Private
Private

Post by Wolf42 »

toaster wrote:
Wolf42 wrote:Thanks very much for the reply as I'm sure there are a few others that might have this problem as well :)

Yes, it's the same subdirectory of the main directory or folder where you have bzflag installed. You can use some free tool to edit the PNG format files.
Huh... When I installed BZflag all I did was drag an application file into my applications folder. So I just need a program to edit the application file then? There's no physical folder, just the icon to click on to start BZflag.
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz »

Two other things that might help you:

1) You can turn off the display of your own tank by going to Options -> Effects Settings and turning off the "Display Treads" setting. From there you can also turn off several other settings like Mirror, Rain and Tracks (although I suspect tracks could be useful for hunting stealthed tanks...)

2) You can change the colors of things on your radar by editing the config file that was mentioned above and adding lines such as this:

Code: Select all

set greenradar "0.10 0.85 0.10"
set redradar "0.85 0.10 0.10"
The numbers are simply the RGB numbers for each color put on a 0-1 scale (i.e., 0=0.00, 255=1.00).

Hope this helps.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

Wolf42 wrote:
toaster wrote:

Huh... When I installed BZflag all I did was drag an application file into my applications folder. So I just need a program to edit the application file then? There's no physical folder, just the icon to click on to start BZflag.
Ctrl(control)+click BZFlag-2.0.0 > select Show Package Contents > /Contents > /Resources > and there are all your stuff thats in data on the pc!