Find Server empty

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
FBusher
Private
Private

Find Server empty

Post by FBusher »

Hi all, I am trying to set up the new version of BZFlag at work to have some lunch time fun (its OK I work in a school and its great as a carrot/stick approach) but from about Version 1.8 (The big change version)+ I can not find any servers in the find server list, with or without -nolist.
We are behind a router and firewall so I dont expect to find any external servers but running a server locally and running a client on the same PC shows no results. I guess I could create a shortcut to each server, we run three usually and no personal ones, but it is easier to swap between servers with the list.
We are running XP thoughout with 2003 servers and we have tried running BZFS on the servers and on a station with no luck.
Is there anything that anyone knows can be configured or do I just stick with 1.7? Wont somebody think of the children!!!! :D

Many Thanks
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

1.8 was a dev only version that died.

you want the current version 2.0
ImageJeffM
FBusher
Private
Private

Post by FBusher »

Sorry, some confusion there. I said the new version, meaning 2.0.0, but we tried previous versions till we found one that worked and 1.8 was the last to not work. We are currently running 1.7g0 fine, finding servers on our network, but upgrading to any newer version means we can't find servers in GUI. We can connect to them if we put in details by hand but not from the the find server option.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes, mostly people run the latest version.

1.8 won't ever work, it was not a real version, never released or finished.

at 1.10 there was major list server change. It was moved to a web page.

If your behind a prox server or something that will block web acceess, then you may have issues.

one thing to try is changing the list server URL in your config to be on port 81 ( by adding :81 to the end of it, and removing the # from the line ).
ImageJeffM
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

New versions of BZFlag will only find LAN servers if they're running on port 5154. If you're using an old batch file or something that uses "-p 5156" which was the old standard port, then no clients will find that server on the LAN.
Tim Riker
Maintainer
Maintainer

finding servers

Post by Tim Riker »

So you are trying to find local servers on the lan? These are not public servers then, yes?

What ports are they running on?

Are they on the same tcp subnet?

If they are on port 5154, and on the same subnet, they should be findable. Note that 1.7g* servers listen on port 5154 as well on on the normal game port. You probably have to stop all 1.7 servers on a machine before a 1.10 or 2.0 server will start on the same machine.

You can run an internal list server, but it's not easy to setup. see the cvs db module. Of course you will either need to edit the list url in each client or redirect my.bzflag.org to the internal server in your local dns. Also doing this will prevent any clients from using the public list server. I'm assuming that you don't normally allow access from your LAN to the public list server.
Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - Tim@Rikers.org
BZFlag maintainer - http://BZFlag.org/ - for fun!
FBusher
Private
Private

Post by FBusher »

Many thanks all. Only being able to find servers on port 5154 explained half of our problem, we were running 3 servers on one machine on a variety of ports so we will have to rethink this.
The other half of it seemed to come down to something in the cfg file. I wasn't able to find even a basic server run from just bzfs, no switches, to start. Randomly I thought to delete the My BZFlag folder so it would recreate and suddenly I was able to find servers on the default port properly.
Now I have the feeling that this was all ready there from a previous version of BZFlag I tried so there could have been some incompatibility but Hurrah it is working now.
While I'm on a roll is there a known problem with the "Start Server" option? I get "Failed... Unknown Error" when I try this. Its not a great problem as we dont use this here but I'm not sure if it is just our problem or everyone is having the problem.
Again many thanks