Global Login System (1.11.28)

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Global Login System (1.11.28)

Post by RPG »

Well, I used to be intimidated to post here, but trepan finally got me to report some bugs.

This bug involves the global login system. I have no idea on the status of the project of what it has to do yet, but I've noticed the password field under my callsign. I use my forum password, and everything is fine. One time, I decided to type some random letters in the password field, and it STILL let me find a server and then join it. The thing I noticed was that the time I had the bogus password I did not get a 'token', but it sill let me play with RPG.
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

I believe that that is the expected behaviour,
unless the server requires registration.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you will allways get a server list, no mater what your login.

No servers are set to require registration, so it makes sens that you got in. But what you didn't get was the "registered" group applied to you. A server can set permisions based on that group just like they can now with logins. They can allso add groups that the board defines, the only one that does that now is one.bzflag.org, and your not in the test group.

You'll know if you are authenticated via the master server if you see "got token" in the chat text when listing the servers
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I thought the big point of the global login system was that nobody could play as you and ruin your life.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it all depends on the server, a server can be set to be totaly open ( ignore the auth), or use the registration.

I don't think any servers force registration at the momoent.

And not all servers can, or new players won't be able to jump right in.

It's basicly the same as the current in game registration system, it's just been made global.

if somone on a server was using your name, and it used the default registration groups, you'd be able to kick them with your password using the ghost command.

Some servers are set to dissallow non-authenticated registerd users. This is an option, not a default. This is the option I think your thinking of.

Presently the game dosn't have any mechanism to tell the player the username is in use, and that it needs to try use another one. Perhaps some intrepid coder will put that in for us.
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I see how this could be useful, especially with this flood of people from slashdot. Some servers could be for 'regulars' and some for the slashdot people.