HOSTERS, OR HOW TO HOST. PLease help.

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
Mudsquisher
Private First Class
Private First Class

HOSTERS, OR HOW TO HOST. PLease help.

Post by Mudsquisher »

I have 2 questions that sorta link together. Well first, if you know how to host and is on bzflag frequently and is not a totall noob at it, will you host my map? Also, how would i host? Wherewould i get started, how do i get a map on bzflag? PLease help me

Some Requirments I would like you to have before hosting my map:
on bzflag frequently
has hosted maps and knows how to do it well
will host my maps and will help with getting it together.

Well thanks! :D
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: HOSTERS, OR HOW TO HOST. PLease help.

Post by Bambino »

mrapplecomputer1 is already hosting your maps, start with him...

[Edit] To add to your post, read the wiki, and the server section of the wiki. You will need to read, learn, and try to understand Group Files, andconfig file.

Once you have checked all of that, and tried to comprehend all, or most you can search the server section of the forums, then if you still have questions, make a post.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Abominable
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Abominable »

Search the forums, there are many free hosters.
Spend more time on your maps, make them more thought out, you'll get one of the more "renown" hosters. If you get your map hosted by a good, renown host (bztank, norang) etc, then you're sitting nice IMO :twisted:
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I don't want to seem to blunt, but if you have to ask the 'how do you host' question as boldly as you have done - without, it seems, any prior thought or research - you are not fit to run a public server yourself.

You will need to research and understand:

Intermediate Computer Knowledge including the command prompt of your operating system.
Map files
BZFS, the bzflag server
BZFS server options, and the Conf file, and the various other files needed.
Group files, global authentication, and global groups.
Basic Networking and how your router works.
What an IP address is, and other related networking terms
Bandwidth
Networking security, how your firewall works.

You may also need:
Money - if you run a popular public server, bandwidth doesn't come cheap. You won't be able to use your home connection.
Your parents permission if you're at home using their internet connection.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Spazzy McGee wrote: Your parents permission if you're at home using their internet connection.
You may put your home internet connection at risk for disconnection, so you need to do some research to weigh those risks (and make sure your parents know as well)...
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 73#p140947
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Mudsquisher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mudsquisher »

Ok, so i read up on my reasearch and understad how to host once its up. But i still dont know how to get it up on bzflag. I have a host service, but what port and how do i get my map up there? PLease help me. thanks
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Your host should do that for you.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mudsquisher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mudsquisher »

Well i have done some research and came to a descision that i will not host my own maps due to the risk i would be taking and the lag of space on my computer. But i am still looking for a hoster. Mrapple.....u just arent the person i want....sorry. For now, i would like a new hoster. thanks
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

dude, mud, getting your map hosted is not as simple as mrapple made it seem, so unless it is a technical problem (too slow, too laggy, or something like that) you should be thankfull that he agreed so quickly to host your map(s).
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

The best way to get a map hosted, is to post it in the map releases section!
Like other hosters, I check the bzbb often for good playable maps, if you like you can pm me a link to your post there. If it is good enough it will make it on 001.bzflag.fr.
Important ::: Please take the time to test your map!
it really makes all the difference and you can see and check if everything is working as it should and its playability!
Also include a options object in your map file, I don't like guessing what variables your map needs.
All this could be the difference between a good map getting hosted or not.

enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

just to ask you ,WHAT IS A CAT5 CONNECTION TYPE

AND when spazzy mc gee said that if your server is popular that you will have to pay a lot of money for bandwith so you won't be able to use your own home connection so how will you host your server
"See a need fill a need"-(Bigweld from the movie "Robots")
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Most of the larger servers (norang, planet-mofo, bzexcess to name a few) are hosted in data centers on rented servers. They pay a monthly fee for the use of a server and a block of bandwidth. PM costs $75/month, if I remember correctly from the last time I paid for a month.

So yes, people pay real money so you can play your game for free!!
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

enrico123 wrote:just to ask you ,WHAT IS A CAT5 CONNECTION TYPE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

A cat 5 cable is the standard cable and connection for Ethernet - which is the industry standard for LAN computer networks. Chances are the cable connecting your computer to your router is a cat5 cable.

Your home connection is most likely too slow to support lots of players like big servers do. This is why those server owners choose to rent dedicated servers, with a very fast internet connection. This costs a lot of money. (And i'm sure those server owners will greatly appreciate any donations to keep the servers that you love to play on running!)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon