Some new sounds

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Some new sounds

Post by Tedius »

Here are some copyright free, sound samples immunogoblin and I have been working on. These are just a first try, so your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Drop these in your Resources directory (after renaming the original sounds).

I have had fun playing bz with these sounds for a while now. It really changes the character of the game. Some of them take some getting used to, so give them time.
Attachments
fixedsounds.zip
sounds- revision 2
(676.62 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Last edited by Tedius on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this signature intentionally left blank
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Your new sounds made my day.

Edit: When the file is actually used within BZFlag, the pitch gets lower, and the sound is slowed down. Of course this is an inherent characteristic of BZFlag, but you may want to consider it.

Edit: The shock wave sound could be a bit louder.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

A Distraction wrote:Edit: When the file is actually used within BZFlag, the pitch gets lower, and the sound is slowed down. Of course this is an inherent characteristic of BZFlag, but you may want to consider it.

Edit: The shock wave sound could be a bit louder.
Made my day too - I especially like the shock, laser and spawn sounds. I disagree with A Distraction, I think if the shock sound was any louder it would be intrusive. You might want to compress the laser a bit. sometimes it clips my tiny macbook speakers. Sounds great in my isolation headphones though!

I would assume that the pitch lowering is to do with BZFlag's "real-world" sound physics. It takes into account things like distance delay and I would't be surprised if the pitch lowered, or there was a low pass filter added, as you move further away. In the real world bass frequencies travel furthest.

Good work so far. I'm going to do some work on the 'spree' sounds, assuming that after the switch to 3.0, the PlayHistoryTracker plugin will actually use them. I might talk to you on IRC about them Tedius.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

These sounds are really great, it gives the game a more realistic sound.

Are you planning to add more sounds like explode.

Great job Tedius

--ahs3
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

oops, I forgot a couple of my favorite ones. Let me know what you think of the "flames" sound at the end of the explosion.
Attachments
moresounds.zip
explosion, missiles
(587.15 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Last edited by Tedius on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

did you make these sounds? or get them from some royalty free site?
ImageJeffM
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

All I know is that I have to turn the sound up to hear the shock wave when all the other sounds play at a consistent, comfortable volume. And why would shock wave have a lowered pitch in relation to distance? For the other sounds I can understand it, but with shock wave, the sound starts out near you.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

A Distraction, the problem you're having can be explained by the fact that I posted the sounds in the wrong format, which work fine on some, but not all platforms.

I converted them, and replaced the zip file at the top of this thread.

also, the good people at bzflagr have offered a place that you can download the sounds at:
http://art.bzflagr.net/svnroot/bz-client/Audio/

All of the sounds were edited or created by myself or immunogoblin, with a variety of synthesizers and samplers.
Last edited by Tedius on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

To add onto Tedius's last post, that link is for an svn repository, so you can check them out in one swoop :--)
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Nice sound packs. Very different, take some getting used to, but on-the-whole pretty good. (I wanna say 2.0ish, but that doesn't seem right)

Personally, the only flaw I have is the lack of a rico sound. You hear the big electro-phaser, and then the wimpy "Doink!" that follows it. But time will fix that.

~Tedius++
robster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by robster »

I dont mean to sound like the party pooper but what about machinegun and trig happy flags? With the new fire sound a machinegun would sound odd. Might need a different sound?

Other then that very harmonious sounds but I do like the old theif sound.

Just one other thing I noticed many sounds you havent redone eg: steamroller kill, flag grab/drop and tank landing. I know it takes alot of work making sounds that sound just right but is this intentional or just on the to-do-list?
I have no suggestions for the flags above new sounds so don't ask me...

Actually I just thought you could use the 'boom' sound for machinegun as it is short and actually sounds like a shot.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> I dont mean to sound like the party pooper but what about machinegun and trig happy flags? With the new fire sound
> a machinegun would sound odd. Might need a different sound?

I find that it works quite well.

> Other then that very harmonious sounds but I do like the old theif sound.

Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

Thanks robster,
I was worried about the machine gun/Trigger-happy as well, but I found that it seems to work out. Try it out and see what you think.

We're planning on re-working on a lot of the sounds, SR is on the list.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ted
Mets
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mets »

Nice sounds. I absolutely love the laser sound, although I was kind of disappointed with the GM and SW sounds. Some of the sounds are a little fuzzy, like when you shoot and get shot at. A little bit more work on the set and making them a bit crisper and it should be a really nice addition.
robster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by robster »

OK firstly F687/s use the quote button instead of writing out the persons quote in full. Its right above.......................here!
Its much easier :)

Secondly I am sorry Tedius. I tried the sounds in the game and found the trig/happy and machinegun sounds very good. I take back what I said and beg forgiveness :cry:

Lastly F687/s I used to love running around annoying people with a continous theif sound in there speakers :twisted: and I love that old school sound, but i guess everyone is entitled to there own opinion WRONG THOUGH THEY MAY BE!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just kidding :D
immunogoblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by immunogoblin »

OK firstly F687/s use the quote button instead of writing out the persons quote in full.
I'm sure F687/s has a nice perl script to do his quoting for him. ;)
I tried the sounds in the game and found the trig/happy and machinegun sounds very good. I take back what I said and beg forgiveness
Don't feel too bad - I went through exactly the same process of reaction/conclusion when I heard that shot sound. It's one of those cases where intuition turns out to be wrong when tested... :)
I used to love running around annoying people with a continous theif sound in there speakers :twisted: and I love that old school sound...
Personally, I like the cartoonish sounds too, but the consensus is to work towards a good default sound set that avoids too much "silliness" (which doesn't keep anyone from using an alternative set - I'm slowly building one that's totally non-realistic and fun, myself). The thief sound is just my first rough idea (it's actually partially synthesized from the "boing" sound, btw, which I love) and subject to improvement, so... any ideas for something you would like better, but isn't quite as over-the-top as the old-skool thief?

I haven't been contributing lately, but I'm back from a little traveling now, and hope to work on new ctf victory/defeat sounds next, plus maybe the flag pickup/drop, if anybody has any suggestions on what direction they should go...
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> I'm sure F687/s has a nice perl script to do his quoting for him. ;)

You make me ROFL...
Not yet, though I might need to look into clipboard manipulation using AppleScript and Perl. *goes to do so*

> Lastly F687/s I used to love running around annoying people with a continous theif sound in there speakers

Nobody likes annoying people. ;-)
immunogoblin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by immunogoblin »

Arrrgh... had a long stretch of no time for bzflag for a while there, but that long, dark battle-free eon of the soul at least helped me produce this thoroughly disheartening sound, which I submit for consideration as the "ha ha, you lose" ditty of defeat. It has a slowed down version of the original mocking laughter added, in keeping with the "make it a little bit familiar" notion... remember, you're not *supposed* to like it. :)
Attachments
flag_lost.wav.zip
zipped wav file.
(440.51 KiB) Downloaded 110 times