Global Login Rejected?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Global Login Rejected?

Post by Wreckage »

I have had for I think a year, a problem where occasionally when I log in I get the message "Global login rejected; bad token." Yes, I have my password right and have tried re-typing, and changing "#set list http://my.BZFlag.org/db/" to "set list http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/". The problem never went away, and I have just dealt with it for a while since it only happened occasionally, but now suddenly EVERY time I connect anywhere my call sign is rejected. I think recently I have updated my computer so BZFlag might have updated if that has anything to do with it. Any suggestions?
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

I guess no one has a clue? Please I'm kinda stuck here.
Little Old Lady
Private
Private

Post by Little Old Lady »

I'm in the same boat...

I've been using my registered call sign/password for close to a year with no problems until:

I threw away version 2.0.8 (and all associated files, hopefully), upgraded to 2.10.3, experienced the 'bad token" syndrome, threw away 2.10.3 and re-installed 2.0.8. I'm still getting the "bad token" message.

It also says something to the effect that the call sign is already taken.

I CAN play with my registered call sign/password until I get a bad connection (freeze) at which point trying to join the game again results in "bad token". If I quit BZFlag for, say 5 minutes, I can then restart it, log on, and play till it freezes at which point the "bad token" message comes up when I try to join the game again.

I've since registered a different call sign/password which works fine but I'd like to play under my original name.

HELP!

:cry: :( :cry: :(
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

1) check the password (they are case sensitive ) in game.
2) ask your ISP if they use a caching proxy server, if so see if you can get around it.
ImageJeffM
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

JeffM wrote:1) check the password (they are case sensitive ) in game.
2) ask your ISP if they use a caching proxy server, if so see if you can get around it.
I know the problem does not lie in #1. I have typed and re-typed and re-re-retyped, hoping that was the problem, checking caps lock, etc.

As for #2, I use proxies for firefox/web browsing but in my computer settings the connection is set to "Connect directly to the internet" instead of "Manual Proxy Configuration". I think I remember that if that were set to a proxy then bzflag would not even work. What should I do? How would I "get around" a caching proxy server if that ends up being the problem?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

If it is a transparent caching proxy at your ISP level, the only thing you can do is ask them how you can get around it.

The problem is, we send out the response with your current token when you log in. What you get back is an older ( now invalid ) token because the proxy server sees that it's the exact same URL you requested a while ago, so it sends back the same info it had a while ago ( we set all the HTML "no cache" flags we can, but many proxy servers ignore those ). When you join the game server it gets your current ( and valid ) token from the list server, you send in your cached ( invalid ) token, and they don't match and the list server can't authenticate.

There isn't really anything we can do on our side, we tried to send you valid info, and something else not in our control got in the way.

We can't loosen the token restrictions ( they are valid for one transaction or 10 min ) with out opening up a huge security hole.
ImageJeffM
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Hmm. I'll try to see what I can do with what you've told me.
Thanks for the help JeffM!
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Well I contacted my ISP but in my situation there is no way of getting "around" my transparent caching proxy in my situation -- which I found I do have.

Someone else suggested "Maybe try clearing cookies, cache, etc. "
How would I go about doing that, or would that not help?
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Well I contacted my ISP but in my situation there is no way of getting "around" my transparent caching proxy in my situation -- which I found I do have. It just doesn't make sense that if someone has the correct username and password they can still have their login rejected.

Someone else suggested "Maybe try clearing cookies, cache, etc. "
How would I go about doing that, or would that not help?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it is not a cookie thing.

it is a cache thing. but the cache is NOT on your system. The Cache is on that proxy server at your ISP.

We flag our HTTP connection as being no cache, so your ISP should not be caching it, but obviously they are. This is not what they are supposed to do.

Sadly unless you can get a non cached connection to our list server, there is no way to make your login work.
ImageJeffM
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

JeffM wrote:it is a cache thing. but the cache is NOT on your system. The Cache is on that proxy server at your ISP.
We flag our HTTP connection as being no cache, so your ISP should not be caching it, but obviously they are. This is not what they are supposed to do.

Sadly unless you can get a non cached connection to our list server, there is no way to make your login work.
Wreckage, Any chance you can talk to your ISP with "plan B"... that is, not asking to bypass the cache server, but rather, asking if they can change their proxy settings to be compliant with sites that are flagged not to be cached?
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

asking if they can change their proxy settings to be compliant with sites that are flagged not to be cached?
I do not quite understand this. How could they do that? Or should I just ask and see what happens? - it doesn't seem like they would change their whole system just for me.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Wreckage wrote:it doesn't seem like they would change their whole system just for me.
If they're caching pages that are labeled as non-caching, then their system is misconfigured and should be fixed. It's not like they're doing a special thing for you. It's quite possible that others could be affected.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

It's quite possible that others could be affected.
Well I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks again.
a dead man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a dead man »

ok, now, lets throw another spanner in the works, I have the same problem, got bad token, this callsign is registered, yada yada yada. BUT this only happens on my laptop, and only just started happening recently. I can log in on any of my desktops (winblows, linux and mac) no problem (no proxy here), but when I try the laptop, i get bad token. config files are exactly the same. any clues?