Test Your Skills! Pre-Alpha out

Previews and comments on future maps.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Test Your Skills! Pre-Alpha out

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Hi all (again).

My other map just didn't end up working, I ran out of ideas :oops: .

I'm gonna begin work on a map that will be designed ONLY for training purposes. I'll have only one team, and set up some areas. Each has a different training purpose. For example, one test your jumping skills by firing volleys of shots. Another will get your aim up, as you will try and hit some targets placed around the map. A third will be teaching you to dodge without jumping. The roof will be extremely low. I'm making alot of progress, almost ready to add WW's and death blocks.
Last edited by *Boinkage*! on Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: In a cardboard box, how I own a computer, I don't know.

Post by Easy Target »

Great, seems really cool!!! I cant wait for it...

Also, i had an idea, you could make another section to practice against an actual foe in non-jumping dodging and aim, you could get robot tanks up and make the person have to fight them...

I can tell this is gonna be cool.
Humor helps us to think out of the box. The average child laughs about 400 times per day, the average adult laughs only 15 times per day. What happened to the other 385 laughs?
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

^ Unless you somehow screw it up... lol jk
Humor helps us to think out of the box. The average child laughs about 400 times per day, the average adult laughs only 15 times per day. What happened to the other 385 laughs?
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I'll go ahead and say it now, because if I don't, somebody else will. Easy Target, you are cursed forever for double posting! Use the edit button, duh! :) Actually, I have no problem with the double post, but most people tend to like you to edit in something you think of later, rather than making a second post with little information or merit on its own. And I was just kidding, of course.

I like the idea, Boinkage. I've known several attempts at a training map, and none really took off. I hope it goes better for you! Something that came to mind when you mentioned the dodging section was perhaps, rather than a low ceiling, just make a box with physics prohibiting jumping. Meaning:

Code: Select all

physics
name nojump
linear 0 0 -20
end
I think if you added that to a box it would make it so your tank is unable to jump, and you would not have to have a cramped area. Just a thought.

Look forward to seeing this one. 8)
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Easy Target »

ooohhhhhh, i never noticed the edit button... sorry.

Boinkage, again i give you cudose on your map idea... GREAT IDEA, i can tell you that i will be one of the first ones on the server when its up. :wink:
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Something that came to mind when you mentioned the dodging section was perhaps, rather than a low ceiling, just make a box with physics prohibiting jumping. Meaning:

Code: Select all

physics
name nojump
linear 0 0 -20
end
Those are quite fun to use. However, keep in mind that with _jumpVelocity of 19, that won't allow you to jump at all. Instead of -20, -10 is probably best. That would allow you jump 9m (?) into the air. Or, just change _jumpVelocity if you want it for the whole map.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

ooohhhhhh, i never noticed the edit button... sorry.
I said I was just joking as to fussing at you. :P But I'm glad you found the button.
Those are quite fun to use. However, keep in mind that with _jumpVelocity of 19, that won't allow you to jump at all. Instead of -20, -10 is probably best. That would allow you jump 9m (?) into the air. Or, just change _jumpVelocity if you want it for the whole map.
True, I forgot to mention my code would prohibit all jumping. When I think of dodging I like to make it so that the person learning can NOT jump at all, even if they want to. So if they press their jump key nothing happens... tough luck. :) Only one way to learn... and that's by having no other option but to dodge! :D
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

ducatiwannabe wrote:So if they press their jump key nothing happens...
Well, it still does make the sound, other than maps without jumping.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I have several rooms done (Got caught up and didn't have time), but i'm working on a "christmas tree" set of chains to make the fourth room. It goes over every room excep number one or now. It leads back to the main room. I still have to add WW's, but that should be easy.

easy target

It's actually against BZFlag protocal-or-something to put bots on a server (especially more than one).

I was thinking of making a death ceiling. you jump, you die :twisted: . It would also give you a reason to be careful on the "rollercoaster". *Slips* KABOOM.

*Opens BZEdit*

I will post the code with room #2 done: A room where you learn to time jumps, the shots will force you to get off the ground. Do it wrong, and uh-oh :D

room #1 is pretty much ready, but I need to upload some textures. It will be target practice, short range. I could make a second floor with one loooooooong tunnel and small targets at the end. At the same time it will be firing a line of bullets, keeping you from sitting there and blasting it.

EDIT: I did actually beat out some code. It has a massive rolling wave of shots that you cannot dodge without a jump. I'll put some others in, like a funnel shape that closes in.
EDIT AGAIN: The funnel didn't work... I exceeded the max # of shots! I'm working on a wave that is continuous, going from the right o the left, and back to the right. It's impossible to dodge normally, unless you go out of the area it actually fires in (cheater!). I'm woried that when I add the second station with bullets, I will exceed the limits. I'll put only a few bullets at a time in the no-jump area, I guess
Attachments
Test.bzw
For the conf, you simply need jumping, one shot, and only one team. NO RICO!
(12.31 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.