What is UDP?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
The Brisk Young Sailor
Private
Private

What is UDP?

Post by The Brisk Young Sailor »

What is it and how do I turn it on?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Google.com is your friend.

So is the forum search.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

UDP is a connection-less protocol that is useful for sending time critical data, since if it doesn't get there, it doesn't resend the data. You don't "turn it on" in BZFlag, as it cannot be turned off. The reason you're getting kicked for not using UDP is either a poor connection, or a problem with your router. What brand of router do you have?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

In a nutshell, there are two types of internet protocols, TCP and UDP. In TCP, a connection must be established between two computers, much like a telephone call. UDP, however, does not establish a connection, it just sends a message, much like a mail letter.

Because UDP is connectionless, it makes it easy to spam computers, since a connection does not need to be established, and this makes it difficult to track. For that reason, most routers block all UDP messages. The only way to access the program is to either open the UDP port on your router, or disable NAT (both of which aren't fun to do and could blow up any Windoze systems accessing the network).