D-Day Invasion

Previews and comments on future maps.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

ducktape
oh yea, i was thinking of platforms.

The physics drivers can add motion to tanks but the object itself doesnt move, although it does cause the tanks to move.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Ok. Flat it is. I am going to hopefully make a prototype of the map.
We need the following made:

-X" brigades that you see on the beaches
-Trees
-Bushes
-Destroyers
-Battleships
-PT Boats
-and see attatchment for whatever you call those vehicales

It would be great if anyone could get that done. Once you get those done PM me with whatever you made attached. You can get them by borrowing them or making them. Thanks!
Attachments
prvryan2.jpg
prvryan2.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

OK here is My Prototype for The (bad side or whatever) of base (*cough Japan?*cough*) remember its just a Prototype. let me know what u think.

The Big Huge Pyamid is the Water just for a sample and the Bid box in the middle is just a sample of the sand.
Attachments
D-day japan side base.bzw
(3.44 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Please post screenies lol :P
All i see are black shapes, although from what i could make out it looks awesome! :D
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Ok i saw it in colour :P It looks sweet! :D

Where are the team bases though?

Here is a screenie for those of you who cant see it.
I hope you dont mind me taking a screenie ducktape :)

I took the screenie from way back otherwise it wouldnt of let me post it :P
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

New idea...

Maybe you could have many modeled tanks facing towards each other from each side. It would give the impression of you fighting alongside other "tanks". Not to mention some hiding places and cover spots.

Clear this up...The "bad" side in D-Day were the Germans. Not the Japanese, who were busy in the Pacific doing their own thing.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Shouldn't this be done with meshes...?

1.0 objects are going to suck.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

A few points:
1. Objects cannot move in bzflag.
2. Objects can apply movement to tanks.
3. Where is the nation of "Jappan"? I've met a few Japanese folk, from Japan, but never a Jappanese person.
4. The second World War was fought between Allied and Axis forces.
I have no idea at all why so many Americans insist that they alone fought in WWII and that they alone won it.
It was a collective effort and a heck load of fighting was done
The original Allies - those that declared war in the first place, in 1939 - were (correct me if I've remembered these incorrectly) The UK & Northern Ireland, The French Republic and Poland. Most, if not all, other members of the British Commonwealth declares war either on the same day or pretty soon afterward.
The United States of America did not join the allies until late in 1941 - after the attack on Pearl Habor.
5. D-Day, as it is often called, was the Battle of Normandy, between Allied forces as Nazi Germany. Normandy is in France. I don't believe there were any Japanese soldiers involved at all.
6. In my opinion, a map similar to SpazzyMcGee's beach map is the simplest, easiest and most playable option open to us at this time.
I'd propose the map be effectively split in three equal parts: the sea, the beach and the cliff top.
The allies would have to "wade" through the sea and jump onto the beach. The axis would have to work their way down to - and defend - the beach.
I'm happy to help in the making of this map, I'm proficient in hand-coding maps and have tinkered with Wings3D somewhat.
I can try to make a start on it in the next few days...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Lol CBG makes ALOT of good points, so im not going to quote any of them :P

ducktape
Will you be using Blender and Wings3D aswell too create your map?
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Ducktape: I know that's just a prototype, but that's not what I had in mind. I will get you my prototpe by the end of today. Good idea though.

CBG: Thanks for volenteering. We're going to need your help.

A Viciouse Muffin: Good idea. We're probably going to be having tanks mounted in the world. We also need ships.

Win XP: Yes we are going to use lots of meshes. Ducktape's map was a prototype. Meaning where everything will go. I have a better idea on where things will go though.

Anyone working on the ships and the "X" yet? Thanks for all the help.

RC
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I'm happy to donate objects and skills to the project, provided that this whole project has a structre, not just a whole bunch of people throwing bits into a pile and hope that they will magically form into a playable map. You need to plan, visualise and outline your goals, and stick to it.

Have a look, see what's what, allocate jobs to different people.

To get us on our way, I can provide some trees.

I can make similar plants and bushes as shown here:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Hello everyone. Spazzy Mcgee and CBG will be taking over the ownership of this map. Evrything you are assigned to do and everything you make will be sent to them. They are the coordinators. I just came up with the idea. :D

I will still be working on this map and contributing, but they have taken it over. (I'm still going to make the prototype)

RC
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Well Spazzy and CBG if you need any help let me know I'm not the best iwth Blender or Wings3D but any other stuff I'd be happy to do.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

We invite anybody that thinks that they can contribute to the project. Right now, we want basic ideas and models (by basic I mean easily expanded/edited/scaled etc.).

CBG and I are putting together a basis for the map, from looking at what has been said already, we have arrived at a form for the map to take.

We have a 'slope' made up of three levels or steps, with low-jump physics to bounce smoothly up the steps. There is then the beach area, which is large and flat. This is where most of the batte should take place. And above that is the cliff area, where the defending team will be based.

First of all, I think we need research into small obstacles for the beach area. Think barbed wire, driftwood, makeshift defenses.

If you aren't used to Wings/Blender, we will also need people that are skilled with text editing, and people that are good at planning playability and map structure.

Now go forth and modelify, then post back here with your ideas and models!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

The very basic map layout I hand coded quickly last night is up at
http://cbg.sh.nu:10000/normandy/ with screenshots.
The little steps do serve a purpose, it will more easily enable the allied forces to progress onto the beach, and hopefully up onto the clifftop. The axis already have it easy as they have the higher ground. (In case it's not obvious, the little stpes are at the right heights so that you can shoot onto the next step up without being shot by any tank on that level so that on the water and beach, any tank on the slightly lower level has the upper-hand, assuming no GM, SW, etc flags are in use).

I am also working on the actual cliff face in Wings3D now, maybe I can get that out there tonight.

Finally, I'd like to propose a renaming of the map - to "Normandy" or "The Battle of Normandy" - partly just because I'd prefer either of those to "D-Day" but mainly because The Battle of Normandy is just one of many D-Days - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day for more info on that.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

"The Battle of Normandy" sounds good to me.

Oh i cant get to http://cbg.sh.nu:10000/normandy/ is it broken?
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Grace F wrote:"The Battle of Normandy" sounds good to me.

Oh i cant get to http://cbg.sh.nu:10000/normandy/ is it broken?
Yea me to.

Well I guess my work here is done. I don't think I can be of much help since my mapmaking skills are limited. Thanks to all who have helped so far on this project. I especially want to thank Spazzy and CBG for taking it over since I don't spend enough time on bzflag to put everything together. Plus they are much more experience than me.

RC
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Albino Blacksheep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Albino Blacksheep »

ducktape wrote:well I think it would be pretty differnt theres teh huge "X" type things used for cover. and huge base up top.
Its a funny story about those "X" type things. Those were originaly placed to keep the tanks from advancing to far. That wouldnt be very fun, so dont make to many! :D
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

ducktape wrote:I guess you could just have a bunch of little stairs. but then your would hav to jump.
If you make them really small (not too many, so as not to degrade graphics performance), and set _maxBumpHeight to an applicable setting, and the tank could climb right up (with full control).
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Sorry about the downtime on the link above ( http://cbg.sh.nu:10000/normandy/ ).
It's working now and should continue to do so.

Merry Christmas!

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Looks great! Those "X" type things were also used for cover for the people not in tanks.

but yes that was the perpose.

but it could be used for great cover.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Just a thought, a pearl harbor map?
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Davy Jones wrote:Just a thought, a pearl harbor map?
Start a new topic plz.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Davy Jones wrote:Just a thought, a pearl harbor map?
I'd think that would be too hard of a gameplay, it was more of an air strike than a ground attack...

But, another idea, you could have 'fighter' looking objects that shoot world weapon 'bombs' (bullets), or other weapons. (Shock wave or laser). If you wanted it to be most realistic though, you'd make it bullets. I don't know how you'd work the gameplay though...
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

We already have world weapons planned.
What would be cool is if someone could make us some nice looking bunkers for axis forces to camp in on the clifftop.
(A good example would be the little bunkers near the entrance to each base area on L4m3r's Compound map.)

Merry Christmas!