The Important tab

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

The Important tab

Post by GMMan »

This is a idea I really want, since I can't stick with the All tab and have to switch between tabs. Here it is:

The Important tab
Only really important things go in this tab. It could be made to be customizable. What I want in it is the following:
  1. Chat messages
  2. Server messages
  3. Your actions (like picking and dropping flags, killed someone, killed by someone, etc.)
  4. Too powerful flag alerts (Geno pick up and drop messages)
  5. Normal flag alerts
  6. Hunted tanks' actions
  7. Person who got shot with G (but not everyone in the whole team)
  8. Voting messages (might require protocol changes)
So that's what I really want for the next version of BZFlag. It would save my time and avoid me from getting suddenly killed while concentrating on switching tabs.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

As far as I understood this would require the server to add a small tag to all the messages send to the clients. Then each client could use the tags to choose which messages to display (and where)

Personally I think that tabs may be overkill, but I would like to disable all messages except chat and polls. I don't read them anyway :)

Niels
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

the best overall thing would be customisable tabs.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

I agree with this... What I really need is just "everything BUT the Misc. Tab"

I want to see server messages, polls, chat, etc., but don't want to see every flag pickup/drop and every kill.

This would not require any kind of message coding/tagging... just have the client able to show BOTH the server tab and the chat tab as is, but without the "Misc." tab content.

This would be a big deal for me. And has been said in other threads, having different vertical heights for the bottom windows (radar and messages) would be great too, I like a huge radar but a small message window.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I agree with sky king. That would be way too many messages. Even if you did only the most powerful flags, (G, L , GM, WG, etc...) there would still be too many on servers like boxy war and lasermania.