Novel uses for SW

General talk about the map making process.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Novel uses for SW

Post by Sky King »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has ever considered the use of world weapons, like SW, for changing the size and shape of the map.

For instance, imagine a map that had SW world weapons in each corner, with the radius of each set so that they cover most of the map... of course, here's the catch: the speed of the SW is set to be a snail's pace, that is, it make take 5, or even 10 minutes for the SW to reach its full radius.

What you then have is a collapsing map, a map in which the playable area continues to shrink gradually over several minutes.

It made me wonder too... assume you spawn inside the SW wave... would you be killed? or are you only killed by the surface of the SW bubble as it expands?
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

you are killed if your within the SW itself... no matter new spawn or not... the problem with the concept would be that spawn zones would need to be worked out so they were used, smaller spawn zone as time went on so you remained outside of the SW. on the other hand, the other problem is that i dont think you can pick spawn zones by time so it would be this player spawns in this zone, or everyone in this zone or that one, i dont think it can be adjusted as time goes on and the sw expands
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

i dont know about spawn zones, but that sounds like a really good idea to me. Imagine this:

There are a few tanks fighting each other and people keep getting eliminated...if you die you can't spawn until there is a last person standing....and your playing area keeps shrinking...that would be awsome.
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
Destroyer1313
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Destroyer1313 »

eagle wrote:
There are a few tanks fighting each other and people keep getting eliminated...if you die you can't spawn until there is a last person standing....and your playing area keeps shrinking...that would be awsome.
That would be a fun map. What you could do is have lasers on the X and Y axis of the map, and have a laser fire every 30 seconds, (the laser life is set at a high amount) so the playing area gets smaller, and smaller, and last person standing wins and everyone respawns. Before the respawn, the world weapons will reset so it starts back at the beginning. Can it be done via plugin?
Dormant. Not really. Kinda.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I'm on the case. I'll do my best.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Destroyer1313
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Destroyer1313 »

Or, have the players climb up a series of platorms to escape SW :D
Dormant. Not really. Kinda.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

i have the SW originating from the middle on a circular map, with some base areas. You spawn in the base areas.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

That's awesome, spazzy ... can you release the map file for that?

Cool deal...
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Nice work spazzy, but does the sw just keep on expanding until theres one person left? Or does it stop at a certain point?
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

You see the little notches in the circle for the bases? The SW dosn't reach in there. So if you can get back into your base then you're safe. It's nearly finished. I'll post a screenshot in due course.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

okay, awesome ... can't wait until you're finished! Whee! I'd try and make it myself, but due to the circular form, and my lack of skills in the 2x department, I wouldn't be able to make such a thing.

I guess how you will do it is have it slowly expand, and then have it delayed for a short bit, then have another one start expanding, right? So people will be able to go in the center for a short period of time after each SW expires. I have a question about the world weapon, though - tangentially related.

Code: Select all

weapon 
  name example_weapon 
  position 0.0 0.0 0.0 # Where the weapon is in the world 
  rotation 0.0 # The rotation of the firing direction of the weapon 
  initdelay 10.0 # When BZFS is started, how many seconds before the first firing? 
  delay 10.0 3.0 5.0 3.0 # How many seconds in between each firing after initdelay? 
  type GM # The type of shot the world weapon shoots. (They are the offensive flags) 
end
I don't understand the delay line - why are there four numbers? What does each represent? When I set all of them the same, my shockwave will fire every three seconds, or four, or whatever I set the numbers to. But when I set the numbers to different numbers, it starts acting kind of weird, and sometimes does two within close amount of time, then waiits, fires one, then fires two, etc.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

I just had a cool idea, and you could use the same map as pictured above.
Think of it: SEVERAL world weapon lasers, no rico, all going from the center to the walls (of course missing the bases), and directly in the center, hold one cloaking flag, which can only be reached in the very limited time that the lasers aren't active. Once someone has that flag, they can dominate until someone manages to get them.

Thoughts?

Actually, though, even better than that, put a drive-through wall in front of all of the bases that cannot be shot through, turn rico on, and have the lasers cover everything, even in front of the bases. The wall will protect those inside the bases, but they'll still be able to get out.

The problem with this, though, is can the laser's speed be limited?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

For the delay on a shockwave, each is the time for the next delay.
For example:

delay 10.0 3.0 5.0 3.0 # How many seconds in between each firing after initdelay? 
This will mean there is a 10 second gap after first SW, 3 second gap after the 2nd, 5 after the 3rd and 3 after the 4th shockwave.
This is repeated, so the 5th delay is 10 second again...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Okay, cool.

I tested out the questions asked in this post, and I found out I can have one, five, or more timers set for any particular weapon delay.

What I want to do is borrow Louman's idea and set off some GMs before a shockwave as a warning. A ring of them shot three times before the shockwave, at five second intervals. The shockwave will fire once a minute, so here's how I think it should work:

weapon
	name gm
	position 0.0 0.0 10
	rotation 0.0 #add three more w/ rotations 90, 180, & 270
	initdelay 0
	delay 50 5 5
	type GM
end

weapon
	name sw
	position 0.0 0.0 10
	rotation 0
	initdelay 5.0
	delay 60
	type SW
end
Am I right, or do I need to edit this a little bit?

Thanks, later! :)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

That should work... here is how LouMan did it:

weapon 
  position 0 0 36
  initdelay 60
  delay 60.00
  type SW 
end 

weapon 
  position 3.2 8.8 23.5
  rotation 67.5
  tilt 45
  initdelay 45.00
  delay 1 1 1 1 56
  type GM
end 
weapon 
  position 8.8 -3.2 23.5
  rotation -22.5
  tilt 45
  initdelay 45.00
  delay 1 1 1 1 56
  type GM
end 
weapon 
  position -8.8 3.2 23.5
  rotation 157.5
  tilt 45
  initdelay 45.00
  delay 1 1 1 1 56
  type GM
end 
weapon 
  position -3.2 -8.8 23.5
  rotation 247.5
  tilt 45
  initdelay 45.00
  delay 1 1 1 1 56
  type GM
end 
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

thanks, it works quite cool ... thanks much!

Hey, here's another question: how do I make the GMs lock on, if I want? (For a different application than warning.)

Later, g'day!
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

dev.sh.nu:4848

now playing!
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

I'm still wondering, if anyone has an answer - how can I make the world GM lock on to track people?

In other news ...
My computer's uploading a file to the 'net, but I went to the map on Mom's computer in observer and checked it out for a minute ... it looks awesome!

How frequently does the shockwave activate, and does it expand slowly? Unfortunately, while I was there, I never saw the shockwave.
You ought to get some help files added to the server when you get a chance, and explain various things. It'd help some.

VERY awesome-looking, though, and I can't wait to play it! :)
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I've been there already, and I must say, a very interesting server that is one of a kind. There is no other server like this, and i'm not sure if there ever will be. Great Job Spazzy!
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Unfortunately, just with world weapons you cannot lock on with GM. However, you can make a plugin to do this. I think there is already one around, if not bother... Theme97 to make one :)