Can't hit other tanks with 64 bit versions

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
hottentot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Can't hit other tanks with 64 bit versions

Post by hottentot »

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem. I tried several x86_64 versions of bzflag (and i compiled one myself, as you can read in another toppic) and with these versions, i'm not able to hit other tanks. I can see my bullets and other tanks bullets, I can shoot myself and get shot by other tanks, but I can't hit other tanks with my bullets and other people say they can't see my bullets. The strange thing is that I don't have this problem with the i386 versions. I'm currently using a i386 version but unfortunately the audio of the i386 versions doesn't work on my x86_64 Linux system.

Can somebody give a solution (or explanation) for this problem? My processor is an Intel Pentium D.

Greetings,
hottentot
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

It's a bug with GCC4 and x64. AFAIK, you have to compile your own to fix it.

You need to change the optimization level for GCC4 to compile correctly (and for BZFlag to work :) ). So here goes... (if you've compiled stuff before this will look familiar ;) )

Code: Select all

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.bzflag.org:/cvsroot/bzflag login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.bzflag.org:/cvsroot/bzflag co -P -r v2_0branch bzflag
cd bzflag
export CXXFLAGS=-O1
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install
That will get you 2.0.9 (nothing much has changed in it from 2.0.8, though). You can get the 2.0.8 tarballs and take out the cvs steps and it would work then.

Now you have a working BZFlag! :D

P.S.: I've never tried these steps personally since I don't own a x64 machine, but others say they do work. Also, make sure you do that all in the same "shell" because you need CXXFLAGS to be set.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
hottentot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hottentot »

Thank you very much, A Meteorite. Everything works now.