How to disable the dim "night" screens, to keep it

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Para_Shooter
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to disable the dim "night" screens, to keep it

Post by Para_Shooter »

OK, all you experts. Actually, just one will do...

I hate the dark screen I get when playing at "night". I have a sucky old monitor on my desktop machine that makes certain I'll get killed a lot just because I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. I also have a laptop that goes dim when on battery power (my best computin' place is a big recliner, but the power cord is a pain)... and when the screen is dark during "night" play, same badness happens.

How can I switch it back to "day" (i.e., full brightness on my screen) when I log in and it's "night"? I've tried the "+" and "=" keys to change the time, like the help screen indicates, but nothing ever changes.

Last question, does the timestamp for the game come from the server (mostly not in my timezone, of course), or from my PC/laptop? Because if it is from my own TZ/Locale, I can change the time before I get on, and life is good. As long as I remember to put it back when I'm done...

Final comment: the "sunrise" and "sunsets" and the general sun position is a very cool feature, well thought out... but I should be able to disable night, somehow. Oh, and BZFLAG ROCKS!!

Thanks in advance,

--bmr
All your base are belong to me, make your time.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

try "-". on some maps it's always dark or misty though.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

Welcome to the forums bmr999

I think that a server option can disable the local "time change" effect of the '-' or '+' (or '=') keys - it ties the time to the server machine. You may need to figure out when it is daytime for the server and play then.

One other option to make your screen brighter is use the Options->Display Settings->Brightness adjustment. See if that helps.
Para_Shooter
Private First Class
Private First Class

OK, the "brightness" setting in options did help

Post by Para_Shooter »

I found that myself as I was looking through help and options, and it is a work-around. Not elegant, and has to be changed back or it is too bright in the day.

Any other words of wisdom? I'll check back after a while.

Thanx, all. --bmr
All your base are belong to me, make your time.
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

does the day/night not come from the server if the server has the prameter -synctime in there config?
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

yes. you can't change the time if that is in the server config. otherwise you can use the +/- buttons. i find the best time is usually just after sunrise/ just before sunset.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

repeating what everyone else said. the '-' and '+' buttons turns the time back and forth. so if you're stuck in 'night' hold down one of those and the sun will come up. :D
I am a leaf on the wind.