Do u like to be able to go throug other tanks?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please

Do you like the ability to slide through another tank?

Yes
48%
No
53%

Total votes: 40

Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Do u like to be able to go throug other tanks?

Post by Supertanker »

Do you like the ability to slide through another tank?
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Nah, I think it boils down to a basic issue of clipping. If you can't go through buildings, why should you be able to go through tanks? Name me another [current] FPS that allows you to clip through players. The developers were obviously concerned with realism when they decided that you should see explosions that happen a long way off before you hear them, just like in real life. They implemented jumping (which could be deemed 'unrealistic') because BzFlag was never intended to be a realistic tank simulator.

P.S. Developers, how hard would it be to implement this (not being able to pass through other tanks)? If it requires too much time, it could detract from possible fun features in future releases.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I like it. It gives me freedom in moving... for example if your team (lets say six players) gets captured and all the tanks spawn on base I dont want to be surrounded in the middle and there is no way of going out.
Keep it as it is.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Well, I find it fun when I'm st, sneak up behind someone and through them just a bit, then back up and shoot them. Always a good nerve check for them.

Should it do it? Probably not, but it's the way the game works right now.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I don't think we should be able to go through tanks, because 1) bullets can't go through tanks and 2) tanks cant go through walls, so why should they be able to go through each other?
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

I it when your teamates decide they want to drive thru you while you're . Then you have to say sry to THEM because THEY drove thru YOUR tank while you were firing.

Other than that, its ok. :D
I am a leaf on the wind.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Clipping stationary buildings is one thing, but clipping laggy, moving tanks would get incredibly annoying. Also, it sounds like it would be really easy to get stuck from spawning (in CTF) and lag.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

It might be nice if this was an option setting.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

I've tried playing with tank-tank collisions on (a long time ago), and quite frankly, it sucked. It drastically reduces your maneuverability in close battles. Remember, real tanks never fight at a distance of a meter apart ;)
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

DTRemenak wrote:I've tried playing with tank-tank collisions on (a long time ago), and quite frankly, it sucked. It drastically reduces your maneuverability in close battles. Remember, real tanks never fight at a distance of a meter apart ;)
Yeah, that's tru, but still, it would be nice if stupid ppl would at least be smart enough not to drive thru friendly tanks when they're at someone. :shock:
I am a leaf on the wind.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

personally.... I am against this in everyway possible. i do not like the idea of solid tanks.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

Silly me accidentally voted 'no' when I meant to vote 'yes'. Being able to drive through other tanks is an essential part of the game to me. So, apart from the technical difficulties, tank<->tank collisions should only be implemented as an option.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I don't think anyone is thinking of actualy implementing this, 343_Guilty_Spark was just on a posting binge.
ImageJeffM
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

eh, it doesn't matter, it gives us stuff to talk about :D :P
I am a leaf on the wind.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

You know, it would be quite an anticlimax if you were "dancing" with another tank and you collided in midair and fell straight down next to each other (and a third tank killed you both).

the only good thing I can think of would be the ability to "push" tanks slowly... say, over cliffs and stuff. :p but then, you could just shoot them instead.

and I hate it when you have SR and a friendly tank tries to drive through you...
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

L4m3r wrote:and I hate it when you have SR and a friendly tank tries to drive through you...
Well, I hope they learned their lesson!
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

/vote maybe

;)
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch »

L4m3r wrote:You know, it would be quite an anticlimax if you were "dancing" with another tank and you collided in midair and fell straight down next to each other (and a third tank killed you both).
Good point, I think not being able to go through tanks would through everyone's strategies way off. I personally think it should stay as it is.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

It's been that way since... forever, but I'd have to agree with others that it doesn't seem right. I voted "no", but I wonder how much additional problems it would cause when you get a lagged player coming in and magically "bumping" tanks when their tank isn't around on the screen.

It would be a great feature for a future build, but I don't know how possible it is.

BTW, Memnarch, did you get your name from the Magic The Gathering / Magic Online card by the same name?
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

balancing realism with alil sillyness is what makes a good game .
too much realism and the game gets boring an loses fun .
too much sillyness and the game becomes ridiculous .
going thru other tanks , seeing tanks jump and fly ...pretty much throws any sorta realism out the window ;)
however , in v2.0 you now see thrusters under the tanks . so maybe we are all playing on the moon or something (adding weather , tread marks , and alot of other details ...has made things alil more "real" too ;)

an remember , alot of people play BZ to get away from reality . at least for a moment .
so alil sillyness is good ;)
yay
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

I do

Post by BinarySpike »

I like it...

I like it because I hate being bottled up in a corner with some stupid tail idiot that doesn't have the know-how to move, and just when he does you "slide" though the wall and get stuck so you have to wait till the game is over to get out.... (James Bond: NightFire)
L4m3r wrote:and I hate it when you have SR and a friendly tank tries to drive through you...
I hate it when people with the other teams flag does it. :evil:
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

It could be a server or world option of course.

But I think there are probably too many difficulties when a team spawns at base after a capture for it to work. That and playing against jerky laggy players.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Not being able to drive through tanks was a great advantage in the old "Battlezone" game. If you maneuvered skillfully enough...
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

toaster wrote:Not being able to drive through tanks was a great advantage in the old "Battlezone" game. If you maneuvered skillfully enough...
Not having any lag in BattleZone was an advantage too... :?
Parzival
Private
Private

Move through tanks

Post by Parzival »

At the start point all the tanks appear on the base. If you would prevent them
driving one through the other than it would be virtually impossible to get away, deadlocked in the middle. This would give enemies waiting at the base
to wipe all out to much power.

It would also avoid some nice tactics in a close dogfight.

So keep it as it is! Its fun and its is nice. People who argue the "its not realistic thing" should keep in mind that this game is about fun not about realism!