Radar flags and radar shot issues with 2.0 on linux

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Radar flags and radar shot issues with 2.0 on linux

Post by the enemy »

I've normally been playing on a Win XP box. All works fine. Now I've gotten around to putting Fedora Core 3 on the same box as a dual boot. I got a bzflag 2.0 RPM specifically built for FC3 so I don't believe there's any issue there.

But there's some graphics oddities, if you look at the attached screenshot.

The flags in the west half of the radar (always the west! even when i rotate) are just straight lines, not plusses. There are other flags that can't even be seen on the radar at all. Now it turns out that if I turn Smoothing off, I can see the flags properly on radar again! This doesn't happen on windows though. It's also independent of screen resolution. Okay, I've got a workaround, but it's pretty darn ugly without smoothing. Is it a known problem?

Secondly you can see the radar bullets are just single dots. This is despite me increasing the "radar shot size" option right up to max. The shot size slider seems to make no difference at all. Turning smoothing off makes no difference either. Nor does changing the screen resolution - it's still a single dot, although at 1600x1200 it's a very small dot indeed! I can't imagine this being driver-specific, can it?

On startup bzflag version is:
BZFlag version 2.0.0.20050124-STABLE-linux-gnu-SDL
and reports the video driver as:
Mesa DRI Radeon 20030328 AGP 1x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE NO-TCL

Any ideas? Anyone seen these problems before?
Attachments
bzfi0000.png
(0 Bytes) Downloaded 18 times
bzfi0000.png
(394.27 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

Compile it. Download the latest version and make it yourself. First, of course, run rpm -e bzflag.

./config
make
make install

Also, try runnign it as root. I know you're not supposed to run things as root, but it fixed sound and graphic issues for me.
1veedo (libcurl.so.2) I have version 3!