Installing BZFlag on Linux

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Installing BZFlag on Linux

Post by RPG »

OK... I'm totally new to Linux. I don't know a thing. A THING.

Right now I'm running off of Knoppix. Could someone drop a deatailed step-by-step instruction on how to install BZFlag on Knoppix? (Even which BZFlag file I should download- i'm confused)

I hope to get my server permanately up.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

1) Download the source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bzfl ... irror=mesh
2) Extract it bye using "ark" or any other extract-tool.
3) A directory will be created, open it with the file manager and if you are on kde: Rightclick into a free place in the window, select "Actions" and then "Open in Terminal".
4) A new window will appear: Type "./configure"
5) After some messages you can run "make" bye typing it into the terminal after getting the prompt back.
6) When "make" finished you have to do "su" and the system will ask for your root-password. Dunno what Knoppix has by default. I suggest its root, toor or admin.
7) Once you figured out your root-pw and you enter it: Dont worry. Its normal that you cant see anything. Just type the pw and press enter.
8) Got it? Fine! Now type "make install" and enjoy. When setup has finished you can enter "bzflag" into the terminal and press enter. There you go.

If you think thats too complicated for you: Grab an RPM-package by searching with google or try the program "synaptic" which should be installed by default.

Hope that helps a bit. Well. I suggest, it wont. Was a bit confusing, right? :D I am not good in explaining. ;)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

OK, next time I'm on Knoppix I'll try it! Sounds good! :D
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

You should look into Games Knoppix. It comes with BZFlag, as well as many other time-consuming linux games. Unfortunately, I think the latest release has 1.10.8 instead of 2.0.0
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

AH! I finally got settled in with FC3 permantly installed on the computer. For some reason BZFlag won't install. This is what happens:
./configure
BZFlag-2.0.0.20050303 with the following:
no curses!
no SDL!
libcurl enabled
no bzadmin client binary!
no bzflag client binary!

After a few seconds of make
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lidn
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bzfs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/garrett/bzflag-2.0.0.20050117/src/bzfs'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/garrett/bzflag-2.0.0.20050117/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

Looks like you are missing a whole bunch of RPMs that provide libraries used for development. They will have been an optional part of the FC3 install.

I think this should do it, if you're online, but this is off the top of my head so don't trust it:
up2date SDL-devel ncurses-devel

If you then repeat, there may then be more dependencies to resolve.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

For some reason during ./configure now I get this:

configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

Errr, that doesn't sound right. Type:
gcc -v
Is anything found? Has your session definitely got a valid path? I'd have been surprised if your previous build could have tried to link something (ld), if gcc hadn't been found first.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

bash: gcc: command not found
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

weird i would have thought that would have been a problem the previous time.

Then I guess you need to get gcc:
up2date gcc
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Ok the ./congure passed the gcc test, but now it says this:

checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler cannot create executables.
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

This is a horribly iterative process, sorry about that.

Try:
up2date gcc-c++
Jormungandr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Installing bz under linux...

Post by Jormungandr »

Just curious, you are running knoppix from cd? Or have you installed it?
OK, next time I'm on Knoppix I'll try it! Sounds good!
From this I get the impresion you are booting it from a cd?

I thought Knoppix has applied the apt-cache system, which would make it a ton easier... If so, you could just use the App system (apt-cache / apt-get).

In life there are passengers and drivers... Drivers needed
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Oh no- I'm on Fedora Core 3 permantly now. Just have to resolve a few issues that are probably being caused because I don't know much about Linux.

EDIT: Did the up2date for gcc-c++. It 'made' and 'made install' without any critical errors, but I tried to type bzflag into the terminal and all it said was bash: bzflag: command not found. The last few lines in ./congigure were:

Code: Select all

BZFlag-2.0.0.20050304 with the following:
     no curses!
     no SDL!
     libcurl disabled - MOTD, global bans, etc. disabled
     no bzadmin client binary!
     no bzflag client binary!
The make ran without anything I saw as suspicious. Anyways, noone would ever take the time to read my entire log. Then i switched to root and typed "make install". Again, it ran without anything I would consider an error. When that was done, I typed "bzflag" but it said bash: bzflag: command not found. Anyone know what's wrong now?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

OH! I clicked the middle mouse button on the mouse and this popped up in the terminal:

[root@localhost bzflag-2.0.0.20050117]#      no curses!
bash: no: command not found
[root@localhost bzflag-2.0.0.20050117]#      no SDL!
[root@localhost bzflag-2.0.0.20050117]#      libcurl disabled - MOTD, global bans, etc. disabled
bash: libcurl: command not found
[root@localhost bzflag-2.0.0.20050117]#      no bzadmin client binary!
[root@localhost bzflag-2.0.0.20050117]#      no bzflag client binary!
Still don't know what that middle button does :?
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

The middle button pastes selected text. X has a much simpler cut-n-paste system to MS Windows - you just select the text with the left button, and paste it with the middle button.

As for the build problem, I thought pulling in the "-devel" versions would pull in the main ones. Perhaps not :-|. Try:

up2date SDL ncurses ncurses4
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Did the up2date but it said I already had SDL and ncurses, and that it couldn't find ncurses 4. So I did the ./congifure, make, make install again and started typing random BZ words. Here's some of the result:

[garrett@localhost ~]$ bzadmin
bash: bzadmin: command not found
[garrett@localhost ~]$ bzflag
bash: bzflag: command not found
[garrett@localhost ~]$ bzfs
After i typed bzfs the [garrett@localhost ~] dissappeared but I could still type in the terminal. I opened up another terminal and typed this:

[garrett@localhost ~]$ bzfs
ERROR: Unable to start the server, perhaps one is already running?
It installed bzfs but not bzflag or bzadmin? Maybe this helps you in some way?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I used some OBLISK package and actually got it installed! There's just a FEW more problems... one is not being able to play. When I join a game I hear a few very messed up bullet sounds and the screen goes black then the video card stops outputting anything to the monitor. Thi s is a screenshot that will give you vid card, audio, and the wierdness of it all.

hmm... thats wierd... it says AGP 1x but both the card and the board support 8x. And I have an ATI card, I thought those came with radeon drivers?

The webpage for my card is here: http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Pr ... 25128T.htm
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

lol! RPG. I just had the very same problem on reinstalling FC3 ;)

I'm reconfiguring my computer for server distro instals. One thing I'm doing is making /home shared by everybody*, however, I was still trying to cut back on how much space I used. So I didn't install any of the development packages, except the top, assumign that would contain everything I needed to build programs.

I guess you got everything working, but just to be safe, go to Settings -> add/remove applications, and put a tick by each development package except the legacy, and XFCE if you didnt install it. IE, if you have KDE and gnome, put ticks by both those. There's a bug in thie program, so dont havea any CDs in your cd drive when you start it up. It will later ask you for disk 3, when it does, put it in and everything should work fine.

Just in case everything didn't isntall correctly, go to your build folder and type make unisntall. Then reinstall it.

Now, this will prboably not fix the problem if you're not running it as root {gasp!]. I do not know how to fix this, except for running it as such. So just lgo into a root shell and type bzflag. I dont know why this fixes it, but it does. Probably has to do w/ bzflag not havign access to certain things it needs..? bzadmin and bzfs work fine w/o beign root.

So,
1. Install Development Packages. (development tools, X Software dev, and each desktop)
2. Reinstall bzflag (make unisntall, ./configure etc)
3. Run it as root.

That should fix everything :)

PS: did my document help you any? Did it have any information that was incorect? Or was lacking explination or anything else?
http://1veedo.homelinux.com/misc/fedoraconfig.htm (if my website is down, it'll be back up eventually. Like I said, I'm redoing my computer...completely)

This is going to be part of new section of my site, including "Why Linux," "Installign Linux," and "Tips"...so I need some feedback.

Btw, how do you like Linux os far?

*Actually, I made a /files partition that has everythign I'd normally ahve in a /home partition. Then I'm linking the folders to me /home on each distro. Its easier then configuring everything to use the same /home and servs the same pupose.
1veedo (libcurl.so.2) I have version 3!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Oh, I couldn't read your document because it was formatted in XML and I couldn't find anything to read it. Glad it's on the web.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Wow, many thanks 1veedo. After a few days of not being able to mount my NTFS drive therefore not being able to play my MP3's, im back on Linux giving it a few more chances :). Now all I need is for BZFlag to work...

(The music sounds sweeter on Linux)
1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

Yes, everybody says that. I have no diea why Microsoft generates such horible sound.

You do realize that you cant write to NTFS though. I used had an 80G HD, split in two when I first installed Linux. 40G had my files, the other 40 was left for Linux to format. After I copied everything over, I deleated it, and use if for other things now.

My suggestions for BZFlag is to simple go in a shell, type su, and then type bzflag. I know what you're talking about w/ BZFlag acting wierd; it used to do that to me. I poked around some on the consol output and decided that bzflag was being denied access to my modules...so I ran it as root :P

Not the best practice in the world, but I dont think BZFlag has any security holes. (If you run BZFlag on Windows, I'm sure there are even more then there are w/ BZFLag runing root on Linux) It's possible to configure the system diferently so this isnt necisary. I jsut dont know how.
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

If you want to share with files with NT/XP, the best idea is to have a small extra partition in FAT32 mode.

Failing that if you look at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/rel26.html you'll see the latest ntfs drivers have safe but very very limited write support. You could probably pre-create a large file in NT/XP, and copy zip files into it to transfer stuff. Icky.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix that BZFlag problem?

1veedo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1veedo »

Er...recompile? Honestly, that's what i'd do. Sry that I cant help you.

Try running bzflag in a consol w/

-d -d -d, and -window. -window will make it windowed, of course, so you can watch the debug in your consol as you play. Post some of the output.