I can't start a server

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

I can't start a server

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

Hello, i'm not new to the game, just computer programming impared. I have had a ton of people try and help me but with no success. Is there anyone that could help me? I run Windows XP w/SP2. I would greatly appretiate some help. Thank you.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Help is here: http://www.bzflag.org/wiki/CreatingAServer

If you need help on a specific issue you can post it and someone will help but be specific!
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

I already did that

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

Well, here's the deal, i tried bzfs, and that didn't work. I got BIYA to help me and he couldn't figure out the problem. I guess the main problem is that i have no prior knoledge in using any configuration or command programs. Is this something that i should judt give up on? Or is there someone who can help me learn about those programs. FYI, i have an IM account but AIM won't work on my computer. i hate Earthlink! :evil:
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir Lance-A-Lot »

Hmmm...Sleepycows runs an XP server. They have a complete walkthrough on how to set one up. I forget the link...
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

well then this is a bad place to come for advice? :?:

Post by Guest »

i'm having trouble to but i'm using windows 98 my windows Xp has a virus

O_o
Chad
Private
Private

Can't start a server (2.0.0) key mapping problems 1.10.8

Post by Chad »

Like, with which version can't you start a server upon?

I have WinXP SP2 with all of the latest security patches from Micro$oft. I downloaded BZFLAG 2.0.0 and it won't start a server at all on Windows XP SP2 or 2000 SP4. I've tried it on multiple machines. It says" unknown error...failed to start server."

So I download 1.10.8 and it starts fine.

Now the problem I have with 1.10.8 is if I change key mappings, it crashes on me. It appears to be only when I remap the fire key. I can set jump to "j'" and that works. But if I set fire to "tab" as soon as I press tab, it quits. Then no amount of setting defaults, uninstalling or re-installing fixes it. I sometimes can go in and use the defaults, but eventually it quits on me.

I did notice that the uninstall does not get all of the files off of the computer. I have not tried my to troubleshoot my key mapping problem further than that. I have not tried it after I remove all files. I have not tried it on a different machine. If I have any further details, I'll write back.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Chad, the gameplay options in 1.10.8 and 2.0 are significantly different, so the engines for starting the servers in 1.10.8 and 2.0 with the GUI has changed. Everyone gets that unknown error on WinXP.

He's probably talking about starting a server in 2.0, because it's the mainstream stable version.
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by bryjen »

The "Start Server" menu in the client is broken on Windows in the released 2.0.0 packages. This has been fixed, and will work in the next maintenance release (2.0.2). Starting the server program from a command prompt or with a shortcut should work. However, those requires a bit more work, as you'll need to type the settings you want into the command line or a config file. The options haven't changed all that much. The GUI menu gets the options right, but it wasn't finding the bzfs program properly on Windows. A config for 1.10 shouldn't require more than a little tweaking for use with 2.0.

See http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2915 for some more discussion on running a public server.
Tegan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tegan »

Sir Lance-A-Lot wrote:Hmmm...Sleepycows runs an XP server. They have a complete walkthrough on how to set one up. I forget the link...
I only ran a bzfs 1.10 server on XP for a little private map testing. A description of the setup is posted at http://www.sleepycows.org . It should probably work pretty much the same with 2.0. I haven't had cause to boot XP for a while, since I found out about PyBZEdit :)