upcoming 1.7e8 release

Important stuff goes here.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

upcoming 1.7e8 release

Post by Chestal »

The new bzflag version 1.7e8 is about to be released real soon now :). But, honestly, it will probably be released to the masses by the end of the year. The current CVS code is supposedly quite close already. So I urge everyone to test it, so we can get rid of the bugs and make changes based on input from the community.

If you can compile it yourself, just grab it from the CVS repository (see the CVS Forum on how to do this). MrApathyCream also publishes ready to go Windows binaries on his Website http://www.chesco.com/~dbrosius/BZFlag/BZFlag.html.

This release is mainly a maintenance release which fixes some bugs and introduces some minor new features. The next releases are supposed to be bigger steps, possibly breaking backwards compatibility.

Changes include:

- fixes the high jumping bug
- introduces tank labels in roaming mode
- cache worlds for faster joining of servers
- more radar and GUI options
- some new server options

For a complete lsit of changes take a look at the Changelog file.

The cacgign feature does only work on new servers. The only ones I know of that are running the new code already are one.bzflag.org and the two ducati servers.

One note about the tank abels: they can be toggles with a key which defaults to 'L'. This might clash with your current key map which has his key probably already assigned to the identify function (right mouse button) Go the the key assign menu to fix this.

Topics which might need some work (just a list of thngs whch come to my mind right now):

- font sizes
- size of the HUD (mouse move area)
- overall size of 3D area in relation to radar / control panel
- make tank labels white or coloured optionally?
- separate opacity for radar and control panel?
- make friendly team grab sound less subtle

Please report all kind of bugs and problems you might find and suggest some improvements.[/list]
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Thank you Chestal, will do!! I'll update my CVS directory for the new version. Thanks for the announcement. :)
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

1.7e8 was dead?

Post by Dutchrai »

I thought 1.7e8 was dead and 1.7e7 was going to be the next thing, with some 1.7e8 features included?
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

1.7e8 vs. 1.8

Post by Fiberchunks »

iirc, 1.8 is dead, not the 1.7 rev.

Correct me if I'm wrong Chestal.

Peace
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

You're correct, fiber.

1.7eX is alive and well. 1.8X is dead.

The newest 1.7eX version is 1.7e8, but it is still begin tweaked and only available vis CVS.

I haven't noticed any problems with 1.7e8 after compiling bzflag.exe and bzfs.exe, as everything is smooth. The incorporation of the radar patch is GREAT! I've been waiting for this ever since 1.7e6 was released. Thanks you developers! :D
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

1.7e8

Post by Dutchrai »

It's wonderful, especially the control we now have over the radar screen, scoresheet, etc is cool. I also like the way the server handles Team Killers. Great job programmers!

The one thing I hope for most though I don't think is there, which is a bug fix for a major BZFS problem which dis-allows 60-80% of the BZFlag community to run a stable server. That percentage refers to the Windows people, who have been suffering a bug which causes all players on a BZFS Windows server to go NR (which happens if a player quits the game). It's a reported bug.

I just hope a fix will be in the final 1.7e8 release...please please please! :wink:
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Re: 1.7e8

Post by Chestal »

Dutchrai wrote: The one thing I hope for most though I don't think is there, which is a bug fix for a major BZFS problem which dis-allows 60-80% of the BZFlag community to run a stable server. That percentage refers to the Windows people, who have been suffering a bug which causes all players on a BZFS Windows server to go NR (which happens if a player quits the game). It's a reported bug.
I think I heard about this bug before and it might well be that it is even in the bug repository on sf. The problem probably is that most developers are running some flavour of Unix and thus cannot reproduce this bug. I know that at least MrApathyCream is running Windows, I don't know if he experiences this very same problem, though. I'll try and talk to him later, or maybe he is lurking here anyway :-).
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

so what is up with P2501??

I am waiting for that more than anything.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Bullets on radar are too small.
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

This is now configurable thanks to Chestal in Gui Options
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks Chestal

Post by Dutchrai »

Thanks Chestal, I really appreciate you're looking into the BZFS Windows bug. And yes you're right, the bug is nice and neatly reported and can be found in the SF repositery.

If it is not dealt with in the current release, since it is coming soon now, then may I suggest that the priority on this bug goes up a bit? It would make so many people happy... 8)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

duh

Post by The Red Baron »

Yeah, i saw that under GUI options right after i posted that. I felt so idiotic.

Here is a shovel, wack me over the head.
CobraA1
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: duh

Post by CobraA1 »

How about a hammer?

:bonk:
Red Baron wrote:Yeah, i saw that under GUI options right after i posted that. I felt so idiotic.

Here is a shovel, wack me over the head.
-CobraA1

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

My avatar symbol © 2002 Jeremiah Moss. All rights reserved.