how about voting?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
swine
Private First Class
Private First Class

how about voting?

Post by swine »

I'm a few scotches ahead of you folk. Just to warn you that logic is not to be overly expected.
I'm getting tired of lame servers and lame server admins. I'm tired of popping on to a server and finding everyone racing around at high speed and jumping right across the board because the admin thinks its fun.
So how about a voting system? People can vote for the best or the worst of servers or admins, and everyone else can check it out before logging on. maybe on stats.
I know that the amount of people on the servers is kind of a voting system, but I'm tired of ending up on one of the many overly modified "Pie in the sky" servers because it has the most players, and having to listen to the admin talk about his drug habits. (Been there, done that, got the Teeshirt in rehab)
We could set up catagories, eg
capture the flag
free for all
modified
kid friendly
best board design
best admin (and what boards they admin)
Drunkest swine (oh wait...Thats for another forum) :oops:

Every server could broadcast a server message "vote for me at www blahblahblah.com"
wadaya think?

Cheers!

hey dervish!
hey fiberchunks!
hey sportchick!
Looks like the gene pool needs a little chlorine!
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

one positive vote Swine.

I favor something like that...because at least one group of servers out there will never get a vote from me. Nevermind that, it's old so no more about that.

Good idea Swine - even though I would have to vote positive on one of the recent Mad City mods - oversized, jumping and speed mods. But only one. We don't need a bunch of hyped up servers like that.
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

voting

Post by sid6.7 »

your too angry right now(understandable)....it wont do
much in the long term, i find...people play where people
play the voting thing would really be just to get back at someone in the short term...

as for the subject of your post it has already been
"approached" and nothing was changed after that..in fact
in may be worse..who knows..
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

I wonder if when/if the player karma sytem gets implemented whether that would make something like what you're suggesting easier. Like in addition to individual players having karma, servers would also. Just a thought.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I disagree about implementing this idea, and I will explain. I feel that this may make many people think about a server not based on what it has to offer, but based on how people vote on it. It would add an element to the game that may have some people play based on how good one server is ranked compared to another, instead of its arrangement, its setup, the map, etc. Currently, when people dislike a server because of something that happened, they usually explain it (if they are not cowards), like you have explained your displeasure from Pie in the Sky, or all the people that explain their problems in "Servers::Policing" forum. If this were to be implemented, it may take this away and make an entire server easier to hate and more difficult to keep people explaining why.

To talk about a more personal opinion, that has more chance of varying from person to person rather than can be shared, I feel that some of the topics to vote on (such as your given example of "best xxx") seems a bit "high-schoolish", nearly like it's a "buddy thing", like "he gave me only three grapes the other day for an entire half of my sandwich, so I am not sure he's the best admin" :) A bit of a crazy example, but I feel the idea is the same. Like I said, this is only my opinion, and I don't feel or expect it to make any long-run decisions, other than cast my thoughts.

The upcoming (I hope :) ) karma system has similar ideas, but it affects people rather than entire servers. A person could abuse another's karma (or increase it without a good reason) as well, but that person is just a player. It makes no difference to others on how a person's ranking affects the community because they do not offer anything, they just play on servers, unless they cheat, in which people would care much more about their karma ranking. If they cheated (and have bad karma), of course it will turn away people, but if they have bad karma (and aren't cheaters), not many people would take that as a factor in deciding whether or not the person is a threat.

To make this third paragraph simple, I will put it this way: the people are the society, the servers are the providers. The society cares about other's rankings, the servers just allow the society to be.
Aribeth
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Aribeth »

I agree with Lan56. This kind of voting system could have the potential to give good servers a bad rating. The old adage comes to mind, "Vote early and vote often."

I believe this forum is the best place to discuss these issues, and more people should take advantage of this resource.
Hillbilly on the run
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hillbilly on the run »

I agree, I dont think the voting system would work. It is a good idea. However, if an admin bans somone for cheating then of course the cheater is going to go straight and vote down that admin. In the long run it would fail because no matter how bad the ratings are for an admin they are still going to be an admins. Everyone likes different servers if you dont like one server dont play it. It is that simple people will try the server and find out for themselves. I dont thing they should not try out a server just because a couple ldont like that server. Also about the server thepie in the sky I love that server and I am an admin there. If you dont like it that is your opinion and I respect it but as you can see many people play it and like it. Many people like the fast pace play of the server.