Crashes (freeze), and degradation over time?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
KRR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Crashes (freeze), and degradation over time?

Post by KRR »

I get the same freezes others speak of. Sometimes, sometimes not. Xandros Linux (Debian-based), Athlon 1.3G, 256M, ECS K7S5A mobo w/onboard sound, nVidia GeForce2 MX 400.

Couple of other things maybe someone could enlighten me on -

Sometimes sound works, sometimes it doesn't. Then, for kicks, I used BZ under win98 last night, and the sounds were *completely* different (and I didn't like it as much as under Linux). Thoughts?

The other thing is that the game seems to "degrade" over time (much like a M$ OS installation :) ). It will play fine for a while, then it starts to go weird. Some examples of this - gets harder to get server list, errors connecting to servers (have to try 2 or 3 times to get on), laggy, then it finally gets to the point where it is non-functioning for all intents and purposes. If I reinstall, it works fine again. Anyone else experience this?

KR
DEATH[2-I]
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DEATH[2-I] »

i think your linux has not got the audio configured properly! :(

as for the slowdowns, try starting a server, then logging in as localhost,

:sniper:
i saw a 3COM card cause this with WINSHIT-XP a few days ago.
(replacing it with a cheap realtek card fixed it)

Btw. i trust you dont actually mean you have to re-install it,
i hope you mean you have to re-start it!!!! 8)
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

KR,

To help shed some more light to this, I also experience some bugs in BZFlag related to sound. Whenever I'm logged into one server, then go search for another, and log in to another server, sometimes the sound resets from volume 10 (my default) to OFF. This happens about 10% of the time.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
KRR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by KRR »

Death - Sound works fine under everything else, and works *sometimes* under BZ, so I don't think its misconfiguration. Last night, fer instance, I logged into one map silent, second map had sound, third map was silent again... ??? BTW, silent sux, GM can tear you up before you know it... :)

And I actually have done 3 reinstalls so far, problems go away immediately (and temporarily, so far). I'll have a clean setup for probably 5-15 hours before the "degrading" starts. It does seem that I freeze more often with sound running. Next freeze I'm going to let the box sit for a half hour or so, see if it eventually comes back to life...

DD - I've looked at my sound settings when I haven't had any. I'll have to do that when its working to see what it says. (Duh) :)

KR