HugeMap - the Great Plains

User made maps to use on servers.
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

HugeMap - the Great Plains

Post by The Purple Panzer »

While this map is extremely large, it is also very sparse, with
blocks clustered in towns (internally named Dodge, Carson City, etc.). Each town has a teleporter in the central square, which will take you to the next town - there are 6 altogether. (You can drive between them, but it will take quite a while).

The concept is to have separate battlegrounds, each rather small, and in this case separated in space, not height. I think I first thought of this when I saw a suggestion someone had about allowing teleporting across worlds/maps; this map tries to achieve a similar effect within one map.

I find it relaxing to play (though I've only tried it on my LAN), and I'm not sure why. It does suggest the old Battlezone game a bit, due to its flatness. You can pick your town to fight in, or chase people through the towns.

I encourage anyone who wants to make modifications; for example, the towns could be given much more distinct character (they now all have streets and avenues on a rectangular grid). I call this one Version 0.5, as I think play with a number of people will suggest changes.

It should run efficiently; I don't have a block count on hand, but it isn't outrageous.
Attachments
HugeMap.map
Version 0.5
(33.76 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

ok, here was final take on this map after play.

1. clients will have to modify their radar settings in the config file to use it as before......would be nice if it didnt scale but had a series of set distances.

2. laser is deadly. really good map for testing your skill.

3. i think when spawn zones and flag spawn zones come into play in 1.11 the map will have better playabililty. Right now with only a few people it takes forever to get into the battle.

ok, thats my take.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Aribeth
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Aribeth »

I ran the map on sleepycows for a few days, so here is my take on it.

1. I tweaked the tank speed server variable so it wouldn't take so long to get across the map.

2. I increased the shot speed and range as well as the shock wave range.

I had reports that the map was a good laser and sniper map. Very good for testing your skills.