desktop link (idesk type) to bzflag doesn't work

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

desktop link (idesk type) to bzflag doesn't work

Post by Defman »

anybody familier with idesk?

It allows someone using a minimal WM like fluxbox, blackbox etc. to be able to put desktop icons (links) on the desktop.

specs
P3 500Mhz (ashamed to admit that LOL)
Mandrake 10 with kernel 2.6.3-9mdk
Fluxbox 0.9.8
Idesk 0.5.5
ROX-Filer 2.1.1

I can get three other links to work, one to my /home directory, one for my email client and the other xmms to work, but for some reason the one I created for bzflag doesn't work.

an example of one that works;
table Icon
Caption:
Icon: /usr/share/icons/gentoo/xmms.png
X: 138
Y: 124
Command[0]: xmms
Command[1]: gedit ~/.idesktop/xmms.lnk
end

and the one for bzflag which doesn't work;
table Icon
Caption:
Icon: /usr/share/icons/gentoo/bzflag.png
X: 31
Y: 248
Command[0]: /usr/games/bzflag -echo > /home/steve/bzflag/logs/`date +%Y_%m_%d_%S`.log
Command[1]: gedit ~/.idesktop/bzflag.lnk
end

both links have a second command function set to open their respective .lnk files for easy editing, and the one for bzflag.lnk does work - as well as their Caption's are left blank on purpose (and yet the xmms one works like this)

when I say bzflag doesn't work, I mean the game does not even start. No errors or anything pops up. The log is created from the Command[0]: /usr/games/bzflag -echo > /home/steve/bzflag/logs/`date +%Y_%m_%d_%S`.log
line, but it is empty.

I've tried variations of the above line;
Command[0]: bzflag
Command[0]: BZFlag (script which contains /usr/games/bzflag -echo > /home/steve/bzflag/logs/`date +%Y_%m_%d_%S`.log)
Command[0]: /home/steve/BZFlag

when I run any of those commands in a terminal, bzflag works just fine.

Any ideas?
Tanks in advance
orchid
Dev Godess
Dev Godess

Post by orchid »

I had problems with idesk when i used tabs instead of spaces
when I edited them, sorry thats not much help, but idesk is really fussy about that stuff.

also have alook at
http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/fbdesk/

alot of fb users choose flbdesk over idesk

good luck!
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

orchid wrote:I had problems with idesk when i used tabs instead of spaces when I edited them, sorry thats not much help, but idesk is really fussy about that stuff.

also have alook at
http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/fbdesk/

alot of fb users choose flbdesk over idesk

good luck!
with your suggestion about the issues with spaces or tabs - I created a bzflag.lnk from scratch and it works now. Previously I just copied from another working .lnk file and modified it.

As for fbdesk, tried it - but could not get it to display the right icon. Besides, I like idesk's feature of showing a shadow where the icon would snap to while dragging it around the desktop - helps line things up.

Thanks again for the suggestions