Apocalypse In Action :: Planet MoFo

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Atomic Rooster
Private
Private

Re: Apocalypse In Action :: Planet MoFo

Post by Atomic Rooster »

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this question. How does the Genocide flag work on this map? several times now I've been killed by a player carrying a team flag and it was recorded as a Genocide kill. How does this happen?

Is there something I'm missing?
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

It's team flag genocide. The key innovation of Apocalypse! There is no genocide flag.
Long ago some of us got tired of players passing by their own team flag and not playing defense with it. So we gave your team flag some value beyond saving your team. If you carry your team flag and shoot a player from another team, It first checks to see if you are still alive, and if you are, the other team is geno'd.
There are other rules as well, if you get killed by team flag genocide, and your kill/death ratio is lower than a certain threshold, you are considered Geno BAIT, meaning you die but your team does not. In this way, newbs only kill their team once or maybe twice.
And that leads to the Master Baiter flag, if you carry that flag and get shot by team flag geno, the genocide effect is reversed.
Then there is the Revenge Geno flag. Carry that flag and shoot the other team's flag carrier, and they get geno'd.
And don't forget the geno penalty box, you probably already figured that one out.

Very many things are very different on Apocalypse. We currently run 24 server plugins. Coming soon: Time/Space Manipulator!
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Atomic Rooster
Private
Private

Post by Atomic Rooster »

Love Apocolypse. Now that makes sense too me - thanks.

AR
boomercore
Private
Private

Post by boomercore »

And yet players still pass by their own flag.

OD: a nice innovation to encourage more CTF on the map would be to also reward the rest of the team with a few points when the team successfully caps.
playerStr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by playerStr »

I'd worry points would start to lose meaning.

It can already feel a bit silly when almost every player has a positive score. Being able to gain points so indirectly might be the tipping point that crashes the points economy.

A separate suggestion: players sometimes leave to balance/unbalance the roster before a cap, which can feel a bit sleazy. Maybe something like a 30s grace period for team unbalance detection could be nice?
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I have been looking to revamp the capture bonuses for a long time. Hopefully I get to it someday soon.

At one point in the past we had that thirty second delay like is suggested (I think it was 15 sec), but that can lead to other problems so we removed that and went with a different plan. It is supposed to give you the points team player number based on when you PICKED UP the team flag, not made the actual capture. Unfortunately, that one is buggy, i think it works like the first five or ten captures after server startup, then stops working.

I don't think players know this, but I don't do C++ programming. I can almost make sense of it when I read the code, but I'm not skilled enough to create it. This means I rely on others to do this part of server maintenance, and my usual guys have been for whatever reason unwilling to help lately. Meaning, if you're a good C++ programmer, and willing to help, please contact me.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Some extended context/knowledge:

There is at very least 3 plug-ins which have existed for capture bounties in BZFlag: captureBonus, ctfOverSeer, and ctfManager.

CtfManager did take into account players on flag grab, but the server where it was run on did crash unexpectly from time to time.(I don't think it was run on Apoc.)

CaptureBonus is superseded by ctfOverseer.

CtfOverseer doesn't have any of the hard coded limitations of ctfManager and uses a different algorithm to grant points.

Ironically enough, I feel like I'll jinx myself if I say I can do it.
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Tux
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tux »

WTH is a time/space manipulator?
Moroni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Moroni »

As far as I know, it's a fancy way of describing a flag that does nothing, but wastes your time to punish flag surfing.