reset 1vs1 league scores?

mudfreak
Private First Class
Private First Class

reset 1vs1 league scores?

Post by mudfreak »

Hey,

I know this has been discussed before, but what about resetting (or archiving) the history scores/zelos etc. on http://1vs1.bzflag.net/index.php ?
Or perhaps the WebUI could be tweaked so it only displays players that are active?

As is the list of players (http://1vs1.bzflag.net/allplayers.php) and the hall of fame (http://1vs1.bzflag.net/allplayers.php) is very meaningless.

Cheers,
Mudfreak

PS: we could also need more active players. I think most tanks don't even know about 1vs1 at all. Even active players.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: reset 1vs1 league scores?

Post by kierra »

Thank you, mudfreak for posting about this.
Sure do miss *some* of those players...

Let me speak/text strayer and catay on this - or at the very least direct their attention to this post.
cheers,
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

I am for the notion/proposal/idea for a reset/restart of 1vs1.

For reference the previous discussion: A new year, a new beginning.
strayer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm You are right, the 1vs1 League is almost 10 years old (as you can check at the stats page). Rebuilding the league and its website won't be done within a week. So why not planning a restart for 2014-07-01? That'll be the 10th birthday for the 1vs1 League and offers the necessary time.
Ideally the best time for a reset would be on the 20th birthday, which would be on 2024-07-01.

Strayer's concerns at the time (over a decade ago):
strayer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm So you would have enough time to find volunteers for further ideas, planning, implementation and testing. I'll provide you as much as I can.
The only wishes (not necessarily prerequisites!) I have are:
1) a readable / documented code (This is a problem right now. Others than me will have their problems with the current code. I was young and...),
2) an equal or extended feature set (see the plug-in with auto-match-reporting etc. which allows the league to work even without permanent maintenance),
3) the acceptance of current players (which means less complaints about the reset / new website than now),
4) availability of the old match information (via a special page or so) and
5) finding a solution / replacement for the league's biggest issue (in my eyes) - the rating algorithm.
My thoughts on this:
(1). Can be done within a small time frame.
(2). Easily done with simplified logistics.
(3). From the few active players, I doubt any opposition.
(4). Link to static site/archive page.
(5). I nearly worked out this for a FFA league, I didn't continue/finish the algorithm due to lack of overall interest for a FFA league. (Ranking was by wins ratio + strength ratio and strength by activity ratio.)

It would seem viable to have a bare-bones prototype within a week and a fully functional site in a month. (With regards to current technologies.)
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Moroni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Moroni »

I don't think completely resetting the 1vs1 site is a good idea. I do, however think that putting the current Hall of Famers in the background like leaguesunited.org does with inactive teams and players IS a good idea.

I get that the current Hall of Fame doesn't really seem relevant for today, but I think it's good to be able to see the top Elos so you have a goal to work towards if you are ambitious enough. I agree that the main focus of the site shouldn't be of inactive players, but instead the main page should be displayed in a similar manner as leaguesunited.org.

It's like having a statue put up for someone who is revered. You wouldn't break down that statue once enough time passes by, because you still want a way to remember them.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

To provide clarification on my stance of a "reset".

All old rankings would be "archived" and are available to view via a legacy/archive/history page.

All players would then start from a "clean" slate/state which has no impact/effect on historical rankings.

In this manner, the old records are preserved and are kept similar to how museums or archives function. (In where the old records/items may be studied/researched, but are not used.) This preserves legacy standings and enables new rankings/standings to form with the proper respect and reverence to the legacy rankings.

I believe that there is a window of opportunity to see some optimizations and enhancements made overall. (And IMO address many the shortcomings which exist.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread