Something a bit Different

User made maps to use on servers.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Something a bit Different

Post by FangUp »

Well, the last day i was playing BZFlag (2 days ago i think), me and others were playing on a map made by Fiona.
The thing i want to say is that not just me but all the players had more fun playing a diffrent map than the ussual (Ziggurat, Quick shot, Planet Mofo, Castle Warefare, Missile war etc.)
So i am making this post for peoples to recommend a new map, so it will be active for a day or two! Than some other map!
I think that peoples putted some effort into their map makings and hosting is not that simple too (computer has to be turned on 24/7)
So i dont think it is fair that from 250 maps only 7 are active!
Cmon lets try a different map everyday! Dont be so conservative! Try something diffrent for a change lol.
Comment here a map you like, we will visit it!
Well if you are enjoying maps that are already cool for you, its ok but at least try it out and then say!
*this is like saying to a child: "try this food! you cant know if its good or not untill you try it!" sigh*
Well thats for me, Have Fun and Thx for reading this.
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Something a bit Different

Post by SkillDude »

I think we all know by now this was posted in the wrong category...

Anyhow, I see that ADEPT by ahs3 is currently up. This map is a wide map with two bases on either end of this sort of hexagonal shape to the map. It partly resembles HIX due to its three layers, but the wideness of the map makes it feel more open and welcoming to players. The ricochets in this map are useful, and players will have a hard time trying to capture the flag and trying to stop their flag. This map is a great one to play on for novices and expert players alike.

I agree that putting up new maps gives you that sort of "relief" feeling from the typical maps that are always up. Perhaps a better topic title would be "Map Revival"? Many of these maps were produced years and years ago, but due to age they seem to get forgotten since the times change what players feel are the "good map". Or they just prefer playing whatever stays high and word spreads about the maps due to its popularity. The best recommendation for getting a map up is to "seed" it until other players show up. This does not mean opening a bunch of clients and bumping the server up, it means just you, the one client staying there until another player joins. Then perhaps a third, fourth, and so on will continue to come. It is a rather difficult task to do, and requires much patience. But that is how you can get these old maps to come back, especially the ones that actually are good. Players will stay if they find "something different" for a change instead of Ziggurat. Like you said, everyone liked Fiona's map for a change instead of Ziggurat, Mofo, and the many other maps always up.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Hehe sig, not ongy ash3's but 3 more LouMans maps and World War III and much more (:
But you see, there was no such a thing hours ago (:
Good job peoples!
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

One big factor is having 2 BZAdmin obs just sitting there, so the map with them are always on the top and are much[b\] easier to 'seed'.
But sig is right the only way is just to buckle down and wait on a map for like 30mins if you want to introduce new maps.
It always seems like maps go viral but then are like completely forgotten like 3 weeks later.
I guess people who play BZFlag just have a short memory span and if the map isn't up it is forgotten.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

i do that and mahem1 bellime, i wait around 5 mins (: