Max Players Server Problem !!!!

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Max Players Server Problem !!!!

Post by enrico123 »

Hi There
i run a server at my school on windows 7 ( Assistant teacher)with the newest version of BZFlag
my maxplayers is on 20,0,0,0,0,0 and loads of people joined and it reached the server limit for players and when somebody joined it said server full so then i stopped then server and changed the -mp to -mp 35,0,0,0,0,0 and when i restarted the server 20 poeple joined almost instantly but when the 21st player joined it connected and downloaded the world and it loaded the radar and scores and server message but it didnt load player positions on the radar and when you click right click or "i" it did nothing:

Ive Tried
loooking in the map to see if the -mp is stored in the options section but it is not
i tried reseting the options for key mapping but that didnt work either

could some body help
Last edited by enrico123 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"See a need fill a need"-(Bigweld from the movie "Robots")
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Max Players Server Problem !!!!

Post by Cobra_Fast »

There are two possible cases of what happened:
  1. The 21st player was caught in a ban or other network related difficulties.
  2. Your schools bandwidth is consumed. In this case I would recommend allowing less than 20 players to make sure other people at your school can use the internet too.
enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

I see where your coming from but I have checked and there are no bans and the school asked me to run 35 players, if I run a basic server where you go on BZFlag and then start server then it allows more than 20 it's not just the 21 at player but it is every player that joins after 20
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

What does the server's debug output (-ddd console text) say when the 21st player attempts to join?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

20 connections is the limit for Windows7 and Vista SP2 (Microsoft restriction not ours... see link below). My suggestion would be to try a linux VM using something like virtual box, it may or may not be affected by the base OS limit, but it is worth a shot.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_s ... networking
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That 20 connection limit should have nothing to do with this. That limit is for Windows file/printer sharing (SMB).

However, it likely is an issue with running the server on Windows. Just like if you add too many flags to the server, the send queue for the 21st client is probably filling up (due to all the data about players/flags) and the client is being dropped. You will likely have to host the server on a Linux or OSX system to handle that many players.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

Ok thanks
1 more question, would running the server in compatibility mode abolish the 20 connections limit?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no. It is a bug with the 2.0.x bzfs protocol and windows. It has been fixed in V3
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

enrico123 wrote:Ok thanks
1 more question, would running the server in compatibility mode abolish the 20 connections limit?
Apparently you didn't read my message at all.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)