Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by diing for the team »

Is there a section on the wiki with the new 3.0 map making stuff such as I have heard bases are meshes now so that might be nice to fool around with a bit. But, I am looking for other such changes.
blast
General
General

Re: 3.0

Post by blast »

There is the BZW man page if you build 3.0 from source. Or if you're on Windows, download the most recent alpha installer I made and read the HTML BZW manual page.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

where is this page?
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

If you use Windows......Start Menu > BZFlag 2.99.xxx > doc > bzw (maps) manual pages.
Or C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.99.xxx\doc\bzw.html

Or if you're lazy: http://sigonasr2.servegame.org/uploader ... s/bzw.html :P
Last edited by SkillDude on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

If you're in Windows it should be in your "Data" directory. If you built from source in Linux then type "man bzw" in your terminal.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

ok thanks. Apparently a mesh can be used for anything now including teleporters?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Not quite. We're still working on allowing mesh objects to solve world hunger. But yes, flat mesh faces can act as bases, and mesh faces at any angle can be a teleporter. And the mesh face teleporters can do a lot of interesting things, like adjusting the speed that a tank comes out of a teleporter.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

blast wrote:Not quite. We're still working on allowing mesh objects to solve world hunger. But yes, flat mesh faces can act as bases, and mesh faces at any angle can be a teleporter. And the mesh face teleporters can do a lot of interesting things, like adjusting the speed that a tank comes out of a teleporter.
I did not see that part with the speed teleporting. This could essentially be like a rocket launcher but with tanks. Sounds like something to toy with :D
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

diing for the team wrote:I did not see that part with the speed teleporting. This could essentially be like a rocket launcher but with tanks. Sounds like something to toy with :D
Oh dear gods, I just pictured the giant artillery gun from the old Rain 'n Frogs map in my head...

This new info makes for so many new possibilities in my head, I might actually have to buckle down one day and learn how to make maps.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

Avatar, you can even set a sound and notification for teleportation. So, imagine a large turret construct that u jump in one side teleport out the end with a big blast sound and a notification on the middle of your screen that reads "boom head shot".
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yeah, I've already made a tank launcher. ;) Haven't tried the sound effect setting.

diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

I was just messing with it today and it does not seem to be working properly. That or I wrote my code wrong. if anyone wants to update the wiki for meshes so my brain can comprehend it all that would be quite enjoyable.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

What part didn't work right, and what does your code look like?

diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

the sound
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

blast wrote:and what does your code look like?

diing for the team
Private First Class
Private First Class

I got it to work never mind.