bzfs and msvc*90.dll

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzfs and msvc*90.dll

Post by catcha »

Hi,

I managed to compile bzflag-2.0.12 in visualC++ 8 express following the instructions in http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13675 + after installing vcpp redistributable package and copying zlib1.dll under bzflag source directory. I can run bzflag.exe but bfzs.exe crashes. There seems to be an issue with msvcr90.dll ("bzfs.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.", error report). Any suggestion what's wrong? Thanks for your help.
"There's no such thing as stupid questions. There's just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison
catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: bzfs and msvc*90.dll

Post by catcha »

An update: with bzflag-2.0.10 this is not an issue.
"There's no such thing as stupid questions. There's just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Install the correct visual C++ runtime.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catcha »

VisualC++ 8 comes with c runtime libraries v9 (...\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT\msvc*90.dll). Where can one find the v8 files and where should they be copied? Thanks for your help.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Think this is what you are looking for http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catcha »

Ok, tried the following: uninstalled VC++ 2008 redistributable, installed VC+ 2005 redistributable -> still not working.

And the problem is related to the configuration, not version, as I claimed earlier. If I compile with debug configuration, everything works. But after compiling with release configuration, the server crashes regardless of the version (2.0.10 or .12).

I'd guess someone else must have had the same problem...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The 2.0.x line was built using vc 2003(7.1).it has never been xtensivly tested in newer compilers. V2.99.x is designed for vc9. The crash is probably a bug in the code.
ImageJeffM