Quick help with setting up a ad-hoc network for BZFlag.

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
GrandChaser
Private
Private

Quick help with setting up a ad-hoc network for BZFlag.

Post by GrandChaser »

I'd like to setup an Ad-hoc network between my Compaq Pressario (Really outdated, but with 384 MB of Ram, and a 1 GB Swap Partition for Unbuntu 9.04 it seems to run it just fine), and my Macbook (Intel-Based, running OSX 10.5.8), so that I can play BZFlag with just two computers, one being controlled by my brother.

However I have no idea of where to start. Can someone enlighten me as to how I would accomplish the following.

Macbook-----(Direct connection through a Network Cable)-----Compaq w/ Unbuntu

Keep in mind I do not even have the connection setup yet. I have little to no clue of how to do this.
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Quick help with setting up a ad-hoc network for BZFlag.

Post by lep »

If im correct (@ devs) i think he means lik a local server for him and his brother...

Search the forums on how to start a server.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

If you have a home LAN, - for example if you connect to a wireless router to connect to the internet - so long as both computers are connected to the router you should be able to connect from one to a bzflag server running on the other. Just type the IP address of the computer the server is running on into the server field in BZFlag.

If you can't connect in this way, you can create a quick ad-hoc wireless network quickly on the mac - assuming both the mac and the compaq have wireless cards. On the mac choose the airport menu, and select 'Create Network', then follow the onscreen instructions. Then connect your compaq to the wireless network you just created, by joining like you would a normal wireless network. Congratulations, you've connected your two computers.

Alternatively, if you want a physical wired connection, connect a cat5 ethernet crossover cable between both computers. This should connect the two computers without any further configuration.

To actually start the BZFlag server, there is a great deal of info on these forums, and on the bzflag wiki, http://my.bzflag.org/w/Main_Page that you will find helpful. Just make sure you omit the '-public' option when you start the server. This option lists your server globally, which you probably don't want.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Run a server on one computer, and then have both machines connect to that server.

You could run the StartBZFS launcher (found on the forum) if you want an easy way to start a server. Not sure if it works on OSX 100% yet (and it would need Mono anyway), but it should work on Windows assuming a new enough .Net framework is installed.

Otherwise, just search for how to run bzfs on the forum or the wiki.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)