Required connection speed?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
triskaidekaphobia
Private
Private

Required connection speed?

Post by triskaidekaphobia »

Regardless of location, what is the minimum internet connection speed required to play BZFlag without any lag?

It's my first day trying this game, and it's pretty good. But servers kick me out 'cause of lag.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Required connection speed?

Post by z[h]ero »

triskaidekaphobia wrote:Regardless of location, what is the minimum internet connection speed required to play BZFlag without any lag?
Lag is independet of internet speed. If you can manage to get a lag of under 150 ms (and a low jitter) then servers won't kick you anymore for being laggy. Luckily, on most servers a lag of under 250-300ms should be good enough.
How much lag do you have generally?
Type:

Code: Select all

/lagstats
to check your lag

In which country/continent do you live? Players from Australia have for example bad lag, as most servers are from USA.

Also the forum search function is your friend, however short words like "lag" sadly intensionally arn't supported by this forum anymore...the trick is to use multiple search words simultaneously instead
Anyway, here some hints to get lower lag:
-make sure to stop background-programs which use your internet connection (like internet-radio, downloads, ...)
-Use cable-LAN instead W-LAN
-change your isp if nothing helps
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
triskaidekaphobia
Private
Private

Post by triskaidekaphobia »

450-550 ms. I'm from Asia. That could explain everything.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

triskaidekaphobia wrote:450-550 ms. I'm from Asia. That could explain everything.
Yes.

But luckily some servers don't have a lag-limit.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."