Cloudy castle-- inspired by Missile War-- Updated map

User made maps to use on servers.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cloudy castle-- inspired by Missile War-- Updated map

Post by jpenguin »

I tried hosting this, but once again my net gave out.

Creation Method-- iBZEdit and TextEdit
Time to create-- about 52 hrs (I learned a lot while making it)
License-- GPL
Play-Style-- CTF
Weather-- light rain and dense fog
Teams-- Blue vs. Red
Superflags- lots
bad flags--yes, shake in 5s
antidote flags-- yes
Comment Received Thus far-- "beautiful map"

Screenshots

http://picasaweb.google.com/josh.jpengu ... 83008553PM

EDIT-- New version adjusted flags

Download Newest http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=127844#127844
Attachments
mymap2.bzw
(42.41 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by jpenguin on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jpenguin »

Please comment!!!!!!!!

Still looking for host
LegoKid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Cloudy castle-- inspired by Missile War

Post by LegoKid »

When I tried it, I found a few bugs (most of the teles don't work, and in some spawn places I couldn't move...), but otherwise it's a good map.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Based on the screenshots (I am not in a position to test the map on this computer at the moment), it looks like a fairly playable map with a lot of good thought behind it. I saw places to hide in between the castles, an upper route, some towers, and a fairly good balance overall.

I did notice, however, that the interior of the bases seemed a little extra empty. I tried to give the base in Missile War a homey sort of feel, where there was plenty to hide behind, plenty of exits, and an overall safe atmosphere. Your base looks well designed except for the very exposed base area.

Once again, while you did very well (based on what I've seen in the screen shots) in the middle of the map as well, the sides of the map don't appear to have as much cover when crossing the map as the middle area. This means if a good "camping" ground is established in the center, there may be no way around it for some time. Try to offer enough cover and routes for players to cross from one castle to another for flag captures while still making it not feel cramped to those who prefer to shoot from the comfort of the base with laser or guided missiles, as an example.

I would like to play this at some point and then perhaps I can give you better advice or input. I realize that you said this map was inspired by Missile War, and you didn't say this was supposed to be Missile War, but I did want to point out some things and give a few tips on how I think Missile War worked so well with the players.

Good to see another map out. :-) Thanks for your contribution to the community.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jpenguin »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Based on the screenshots (I am not in a position to test the map on this computer at the moment), it looks like a fairly playable map with a lot of good thought behind it. I saw places to hide in between the castles, an upper route, some towers, and a fairly good balance overall.
Thenks, I tried to make it perfectly simmetrical. There are GM flags in the MMid-tower, GM & L flags in all the other towers. The Mid-tower is alsoa bit higher than the other towers; the roofs on all towers should have drivethrough roofs
I did notice, however, that the interior of the bases seemed a little extra empty. I tried to give the base in Missile War a homey sort of feel, where there was plenty to hide behind, plenty of exits, and an overall safe atmosphere. Your base looks well designed except for the very exposed base area.
I guess I should add some more defense around the bases.
Once again, while you did very well (based on what I've seen in the screen shots) in the middle of the map as well, the sides of the map don't appear to have as much cover when crossing the map as the middle area. This means if a good "camping" ground is established in the center, there may be no way around it for some time. Try to offer enough cover and routes for players to cross from one castle to another for flag captures while still making it not feel cramped to those who prefer to shoot from the comfort of the base with laser or guided missiles, as an example.
If you go in a side teleporter, you are at the other side!
I would like to play this at some point and then perhaps I can give you better advice or input. I realize that you said this map was inspired by Missile War, and you didn't say this was supposed to be Missile War, but I did want to point out some things and give a few tips on how I think Missile War worked so well with the players.
It's an honnor to have you want to try my map :) It has some ideas from missile wars, a few from castle warefare, and some of my own
Good to see another map out. :-) Thanks for your contribution to the community.
[/quote]
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Cloudy castle-- inspired by Missile War

Post by jpenguin »

LegoKid wrote:When I tried it, I found a few bugs (most of the teles don't work, and in some spawn places I couldn't move...), but otherwise it's a good map.
I'll check that, I try and check all the teles; The ones on the wall only move you to the other side of the same wall.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

You may not want to put a server password in your conf because anyone can see it, thus making it useless if/when the server is hosted.

I may host this, but school awaits, so I'll see if I can work something out when I get back.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jpenguin »

A Heart Attack wrote:You may not want to put a server password in your conf because anyone can see it, thus making it useless if/when the server is hosted.

I may host this, but school awaits, so I'll see if I can work something out when I get back.
That isn't my real pass; it's just my lastname "dye", and the style "ctf"

I may add som stuff from ducatiwannabe's post
Abominable
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Abominable »

This map is now on abomination.no-ip.biz:4703
Feel free to check it out.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

New version

Post by jpenguin »

Tell me what you think

Added world weapons
Flags are more evenly distributed
More tank spawn zones, so you should always spawn on your side of the map
Should be no more spawning outside playing area
Changed side compartments to have higher walls and a roof
Attachments
mymap2.bzw
(44.78 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by jpenguin on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegoKid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LegoKid »

Ok, what I meant was I can't go through the teles. They are like a wall. However, shots can go through, and they go through to the right place. It's not a size issue.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jpenguin »

you have to go through the teles at the right angle, they can be hard to get through. Bur they all can work, hard to get through is a challenge in the map
Guided Monkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Guided Monkey »

I'm hosting this map at animalcules.com:5154 since I could not log in at the previous hoster's address.
Guided Monkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Guided Monkey »

Most of the comments I'm getting on this map are of the following type:

(1) Too easy to get to the enemy base (map too small?)

(2) Too many flags

(3) Flag distribution too random.

Somebody complained about the fog, but I think it looks good.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jpenguin »

yes, the fog is there to make you use the radar; remember that this map is released under GPL, think there are too many superflags- change it!
Guided Monkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Guided Monkey »

Guided Monkey wrote:I'm hosting this map at animalcules.com:5154 since I could not log in at the previous hoster's address.
I'm no longer hosting this map due to lack of time. For people considering hosting this map, I recommend turning off the world weapons as they tend to piss people off. :)