GM Lock warning

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
hamburger
Private
Private

GM Lock warning

Post by hamburger »

I know that there is a noise like a warning siren when you are locked on but shouldn't maybe there be a warning like your screen flashes red? ( also there is a warning that you are locked on " Name : locked on me " in the chat thing )
lol_u died

Re: GM Lock warning

Post by lol_u died »

hamburger wrote:I know that there is a noise like a warning siren when you are locked on but shouldn't maybe there be a warning like your screen flashes red? ( also there is a warning that you are locked on " Name : locked on me " in the chat thing )
True it does tell you that you are being locked on but the trouble about that is that sometimes it's barely noticeable. You focus on your game soooo much that you basically forget about the chat message which happens alot. But yeah I like your Idea. The screen can flash red and can show a BOLD text on top saying "WARNING: LOCKED ON BY: <person>"
good thinking ;)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you don't keep track of what flags people have, then you will be surprised. Nothing difficult to understand about that. Watch for when a player has GM, and then avoid them, kill them, or drive in a way that you can avoid their missiles.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Sometimes, for me anyway, I don't always hear the GM lock on siren, and sometimes when I do, it isn't till the very end when it's about to hit me :)

I quite like the idea of the hud flashing red. Maybe not the whole hud, I think that would be annoying, but maybe just the edges? Or even the radar could flash red.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

I personally don't play with any sound at all since it annoys those around me. Even if I did, I think it would be a good idea to have a message at the top just like the "Flag Alert!" message that comes up.

Blast: It would be better to have a good visual alert than to have to check for players with GM. Not everyone wants to have a playerlist covering their screen. If you don't know where they are, then you also have to hunt them, and then if you don't watch them on the radar you either have to use sound or watch the small print in the log.

This is not a major problem but it is a good idea...
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> I personally don't play with any sound at all since it annoys those around me.

$10 headphones FTW! ;-)

Personally, I'm not sure whether the visual alert would be good or bad. For me, seeing a player with GM on the stats page, along with the shot curving towards my dot, and the GM itself in the HUD, and the "locked on to me" in the status bar gives me a good enough indication that I should move. The siren helps too. My only concern is that I don't think that GM is important enough to deserve multiple warnings in every direction to alert its presence. Maybe a team flag, but not a regular superflag.

Then again, patches welcome. ;-)
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

$10 headphones FTW! ;-)
I have tried but I find the sounds annoying to myself anyway. Just personal preference.

Obviously someone thinks an alert is important for the "regular superflag" though or else there wouldn't be a unique audio warning...

Well anyway it would be nice :wink:
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

So what now? Are you people gonna make it? really honestly this will be a VERY cool feature. Come on people that are making bzflag 3.0. It would really be awsome just at least make it and make a test run? it can really be cool.
War Pig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by War Pig »

It would need to be noticeable but unobtrusive. Imagine if it flashed your whole hud and someone locked on you kept hitting the lock key a thousand times. It would send you into an epileptic seizure. ;o)

Maybe flash the message on the first lock, and just play the sound for subsequent locks by the same opponent.
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Well we arent asking you people]to make the screen dramaticly red!!!!! Maybe a light color red on the corners of the screen. (but still noticeable) and a Small/medium size font saying Youv been locked on or Warning in Bold.us You see? Were not asking to make it big for us because that will be annoying.us just simple. and lol i was typing this with my Wii. And now arm hurts lol!!!
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

lol_u died wrote:Come on people that are making bzflag 3.0. It would really be awsome just at least make it and make a test run? it can really be cool.
First of all, BZFlag 3.0 is in feature freeze right now, and a release is (hopefully) imminent... I'm not sure why everyone who suggests new features thinks that they will make it into version 3.0. New features will be added as the developers have time and motivation. Secondly, BZFlag is developed and maintained by community developers as they have time and motivation. While ideas for new features are welcome, our developers primarily work on their own ideas or those of the collective developer community, so if you really want a feature to get into the game, your best bet is to code it up yourself. Also keep in mind that enhancements/changes to the game must meet with the developers' approval in order to be accepted into the game.
War Pig wrote:Maybe flash the message on the first lock, and just play the sound for subsequent locks by the same opponent.
The lock-on warning sound doesn't play every time your opponent hits the lock key. It plays when a missile is locked on to you and fired.