bzflag + http proxy...

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
doc holiday
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzflag + http proxy...

Post by doc holiday »

hi there,
i'm about to move to a student's university housing, where i will have internet access over a http proxy.
i know bzflag doesn't have it's own proxy settings but maybe anyone out there knows some way how i could still be able to play bzflag..
so if you know any way how to play (some program which helps or so, like sockscap for socks-proxy) i would be very grateful :)
Qui bene bibit, bene dormit. Qui bene dormit, non pecat. Qui non pecat, venit in caelum. Igitur: qui bene bibit, venit in caelum!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If your only method of access to Internet resources is through an HTTP proxy, you will not be able to play. But, if you just mean that access to websites will require a proxy, then it's possible that you could access the list server over port 81. This is described in the Common Support Issues wiki page.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TheOneAndOnly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheOneAndOnly »

i have a problem just like that, there is no firewall on BZflag, but it usually comes up with a password, but it doesn't come up and when it does, it doesn't talk with the list server
doc holiday
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by doc holiday »

blast: is it possible to connect to the servers the normal way if the proxy only works for http? 'cause if it's like this, my future will be very, very, very dark :/
Qui bene bibit, bene dormit. Qui bene dormit, non pecat. Qui non pecat, venit in caelum. Igitur: qui bene bibit, venit in caelum!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

bzflag uses it's own protocol using both TCP and UDP to play the game. It is not based of HTTP.

We have no way to tunnel the bzflag protocol through HTTP. Even if you could get BZ to send to the proxy, it wants HTTP, and our game servers don't. HTTP proxys are not the same non protocol proxies, basically you ask the server to get you a wep page, and it gets it for you. This is so they can do content filtering. BZflag servers do not host up web pages.

If you can not get a real TCP and UDP connection from your system to the game server, then you aren't going to be able to play any real games.

You should check, they may only use the HTTP proxy on port 80 ( the port for web servers ) and allow other ports to work fine ( IM, IRC, FTP, etc ). If they leave the ports open for your game servers ( usually 5154) you'll be fine for playing. If you want to use the global login services that are web based, you may have to change them to use port 81, but that is common.

If they block all other ports other then web traffic over the HTTP proxy, you are basically locked out, as they intended.

The entire point of them forcing you to use the HTTP proxy is so you WON'T play games.
ImageJeffM
doc holiday
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by doc holiday »

looks like a really sad future for me in bz :(
i tried to connect a server by adress like dub.bzflag.org:5154 and it didn't work - if i understood you right this would mean they block all other ports.

no bz for the next 1,5 years. :( :( :( :(
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

instead of guessing you should ask the IT support group for the dorm. They should be able to tell you what the acceptable usage policy for the network is. If they say no games, they mean no games.
ImageJeffM