Server Lagging my computer

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
knoxcorner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server Lagging my computer

Post by knoxcorner »

For some reason, when ever I try to run a private server, it gives me a huge amount of lag. I can still start BZFlag but when i try to connect everything will freeze and I can't test my map. It doesn't give me any errors on the command. Before I got onto BZFlag, I opened task manager, and bzfs was taking all my memory with 99cpu. I put my config file and world file on incase anything is wrong with that. It works just fine without the configure file though. The map is not finished, and I really can't continue untill this is worked out.

C'mon and help the newb. :oops:
Attachments
Four Corner.bzw
Map
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

The code I show is corrected, replace this in your file.

Since you are having trouble turn on more debugging levels:

Code: Select all

#-d
# and more complex debugging.
#-dd
#-ddd
-dddd
Pick one of these, not both - since you are running a CTF then the second one

#-mp 25
-mp 0,5,5,5,5,5
If you are going to filter the chat and callsigns, you must have a file that contains the words to filter. You will have to build this file, or find the one that is in the source.

-badwords C:\Documents and Settings\JSM\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\badwords.txt
-filterChat
-filterCallsigns
Comment this out, I've never seen a practical use for this. I'll bet this is the command that is causing the processor loop.

#-reportpipe command
Now you are just being silly, change this to a reasonable number. This is most definitely the reason why your server is crashing.

-set _wingsJumpCount 1000
Comment this out, you don't want your server to be in replay mode. This will cause your server to not be a playing server.

#-replay
#-recbuf 2
In general, when you are testing you don't want to have all the options turned on. You don't really need to start running at full speed. Try turning off almost all the options until you get it going, then turn them back on one by one.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

a temporal distraction wrote:Now you are just being silly, change this to a reasonable number. This is most definitely the reason why your server is crashing.

Why would that cause the issue? I've had it that high and higher without any kind of problem, as I recall.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

Constitution wrote:
a temporal distraction wrote:Now you are just being silly, change this to a reasonable number. This is most definitely the reason why your server is crashing.

Why would that cause the issue? I've had it that high and higher without any kind of problem, as I recall.
the OP's conf had it as -set _wingsJumpCount 9999999999999999999999999999999999
and THAT is a problem
knoxcorner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by knoxcorner »

a temporal distraction wrote:
Constitution wrote:

the OP's conf had it as -set _wingsJumpCount 9999999999999999999999999999999999
and THAT is a problem
Distractions is right. I didn't know that that many wing jumps would crash the server because of what I had read before:
Lag= Shots x Players

Thanks Distraction and Constitution, I got it to work :D

But is this supposed to happen?

If you look closely it says
Recalibrated QPC Frequency
Every 2-4 seconds.
sp unit 262
Private
Private

Post by sp unit 262 »

I''m not sure, but that number can't even be held in a 64-bit integer.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

a temporal distraction wrote:the OP's conf had it as -set _wingsJumpCount 9999999999999999999999999999999999
and THAT is a problem
Ah, that makes sense. :) Thanks.
knoxcorner wrote:But is this supposed to happen?
Probably so. It's because you have so many -d's. If all you want is simple logging of joins, parts, chat, etc., you could probably get by with just one -d. -ts also helps.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

a temporal distraction wrote:

-badwords C:\Documents and Settings\JSM\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\badwords.txt
If you're including spaces in file names or around text such as the public description (which includes spaces) you must surround that text in quotes. For example:

-badwords "C:\Documents and Settings\JSM\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\badwords.txt"
-public "This is a public server"
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)