Private First Class
Private First Class

The BZFlag Card Game

Post by jftsang »

Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

At first I thought it was a kind of strange idea...

But reading what you have on the wiki makes me think we have the startings of a pretty cool game 8)

I have a few ideas:

1) Each flag gives you a combat bonus. For instance, Stealth has the ability to sneak attack...but it could also give you help in a fair fight. So we could have

Code: Select all

--Stealth--

+1 bonus

Guided Missile flags have no effect on your tank. Your tank has one free attack per turn on any tank entering your tank's zone.
Flags like GM, which are worse in close combat, would give you a negative bonus.

Some flags (such as Tiny) wouldn't give you any special abilities, but they would give you a bonus in combat.

--Tiny--

+3 bonus
2) Each player controls a whole team. I think the game will be over too quickly if each player only has one tank, especially with stuff like GM. Maybe each player also starts with a preset number of respawns.

3) Combat could be as simple as a dice fight (Roll a die and whoever gets higher wins). Of course, this would only apply when two tanks are fighting normally, not when someone gets shot with a laser or something.

4) Zone cards are shuffled before the game, and then get dealt onto the field at random. Players would decide what the dimensions of the playing field will be before the game, but I think 4x4 would be a good standard. The locations of the team bases would be decided beforehand as well.

Zone cards could include:

--Box--

Tanks in this zone get +1 if they are defending.

Tanks on the box may engage tanks with Wings.

--Flagzone: Stealth--

Tanks in this zone may drop their current flag and immediately pick up a Stealth flag from the supply.

If a tank does not have a flag, it immediately grabs a Stealth flag.

--Flagzone: Blindness--

If a tank does not have a flag, it immediately grabs a Blindness flag.

What do you think? I think I may have strayed from the original concept quite a bit, but they're only ideas.
Join MI6!
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Gotta pick 'em all up!

A kind of neat idea, possibly, if everything gets completed, and it turns out alright, and if there's enough interest.
jftsang
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jftsang »

My responses to your ideas:
Joe-Schmoe wrote: 2) Each player controls a whole team. I think the game will be over too quickly if each player only has one tank, especially with stuff like GM. Maybe each player also starts with a preset number of respawns.
Probably. You're right. So, Rogues are individuals then?
Joe-Schmoe wrote: 3) Combat could be as simple as a dice fight (Roll a die and whoever gets higher wins). Of course, this would only apply when two tanks are fighting normally, not when someone gets shot with a laser or something.
Maybe. Or we could make it RISK-style, so every player rolls 1 die for every shot they have. Flags like Machine Gun and Rapid Fire would give you more dice to roll, perhaps.
Joe-Schmoe wrote:
4) Zone cards are shuffled before the game, and then get dealt onto the field at random. Players would decide what the dimensions of the playing field will be before the game, but I think 4x4 would be a good standard. The locations of the team bases would be decided beforehand as well.

Zone cards could include:

--Box--

Tanks in this zone get +1 if they are defending.

Tanks on the box may engage tanks with Wings.

--Flagzone: Stealth--

Tanks in this zone may drop their current flag and immediately pick up a Stealth flag from the supply.

If a tank does not have a flag, it immediately grabs a Stealth flag.

--Flagzone: Blindness--

If a tank does not have a flag, it immediately grabs a Blindness flag.
That might work also. 4x4 is a bit small, I would say, but the idea is quite good. Maybe, also have three of these fields, representing the ground, the sky (accessible only with WG or JP) and the very high sky (accessible only with WG), and each layer can have flags, boxes and bases (a la Flying-PHP War).
Joe-Schmoe wrote: What do you think? I think I may have strayed from the original concept quite a bit, but they're only ideas.
What original concept? :P