What is wrong with my lag???

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
styrofoam1994
Private First Class
Private First Class

What is wrong with my lag???

Post by styrofoam1994 »

Almost always when I play any kind of server, my lag reaches almost 2 seconds (example: in urban jungle i got kicked for 1977 ms lag). This gets me kicked out often and I can't hit any other tanks properly. Help?
macsforme
General
General

Re: What is wrong with my lag???

Post by macsforme »

styrofoam1994 wrote:Almost always when I play any kind of server, my lag reaches almost 2 seconds (example: in urban jungle i got kicked for 1977 ms lag). This gets me kicked out often and I can't hit any other tanks properly. Help?
What kind of connection do you have? If you're on dialup, you will probably have that much lag regardless. Also, are you on wifi and/or behind a router?

Also, this has been discussed numerous times before... try searching for similar topics, and you might be able to find something useful.
styrofoam1994
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by styrofoam1994 »

i am using a wireless router and AirPort on Mac os x.
answer this
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

It could be where you are located then. For example, if you are playing from Europe or Asia on a US server, then you will have high lag.

It could also depend on what kind of connection you have (dsl or cable?). Cable is inherently faster, but since most cable companies place 20-30 connections on the same box, the end result usually comes out slower than dsl.

Finally, since you are using wireless, it could be how far away you are from the router. Weaker signals usually mean slower internet.

Once again, use the search tool on lag problems. Thanks!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's also possible that your framerate is so low that it is inducing "fake lag". If the FPS is really low, the game spends most of the time trying to render to the screen, and as a result, the networking code doesn't get called as much.

While playing on a map, press 't' on the keyboard and wait a few seconds. This will create some new text near the edge of the mouse box that says "FPS". The number after that is how many Frames Per Second you are getting. Less than 20 or 30 can start to induce lag. Less than 10 will pretty much make your lag unplayable, and also make it hard to play. If you FPS isn't low, you could try running a 'ping' to a game server that you are getting lag kicked from.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)