Permissions

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
jftsang
Private First Class
Private First Class

Permissions

Post by jftsang »

When I tried something like

/setgroup Enterprise Local.Admin

BZFS returns

/setgroup command disabled

How do I enable it?
macsforme
General
General

Re: Permissions

Post by macsforme »

jftsang wrote:When I tried something like

/setgroup Enterprise Local.Admin

BZFS returns

/setgroup command disabled

How do I enable it?
You need a user database. Use:

Code: Select all

-userdb users.txt
To enable it.
jftsang
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jftsang »

I'm sorry, I still don't understand. Is users.txt a blank file?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

You need to specify a group database, user database, and password database, with the -groupdb, -userdb, and -passdb options, respectively.

Though, local groups are not recommended anymore. The developers and server owners generally recommend that you request global groups and add people via the "Usergroup" tab at the top of every page. See this post for more details: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6516
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

jftsang wrote:I'm sorry, I still don't understand. Is users.txt a blank file?
Yes, it would be. As well as the password database.

You do need stuff in your group database, that define the permissions for each group.

EDIT: I should add that a password database is not required. It just allows you to use the /register and /identify commands for local registration. Local registration is highly recommended against because it is very unsecure (passwords are sent in clear text and anyone who has access to logs can see your password).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

A Meteorite wrote:You need to specify a group database, user database, and password database, with the -groupdb, -userdb, and -passdb options, respectively.

Though, local groups are not recommended anymore. The developers and server owners generally recommend that you request global groups and add people via the "Usergroup" tab at the top of every page. See this post for more details: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6516
You can use a userdb independantly of a passdb. I believe it is just local registration (with a passdb) that is not recommended these days. I regularly use local groups (even in combination with my global ones) for in-game changes (like if I need to remove antiperms from a user temporarily), and for persistent mutes (anyone can leave groups on the bzbb, so that doesn't work well for mutes).