Help me with my map please.

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
dmonkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Help me with my map please.

Post by dmonkey »

Hello its me again and I downloaded ibzedit a while ago and made my map but it wont let me test it. What should I do? Someone told me it might just be my computer and thats very possible so ill post it as an attachment (note that this is my first map and is not complete so it SUCKS). Some one else told me it was the scripting and I have no clue about that so if it is can someone please tell me. Also sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forums there were multiple places I could have put it and this seemed appropriate.I appreciate any help and please dont critisize my map if you download it I already know it sucks thank you. :)
Attachments
first map.bzw
its my first try so dont hate me if it sucks
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Hello, dmonkey. I downloaded your map and I was able to test it on a private server without error. If you are running the map file through bzfs, you need to rename the file without any spaces in the new name. For example: first_map.bzw. Your map file has no errors in it.

I do not know who told you to use a script to run a map but if thats what you are trying to do I have no idea how to help you. I am sure there is a simpler way.

If you are having trouble setting up a server you can look at this wiki page. It may help you.

Post back if you still have trouble.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
dmonkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dmonkey »

Everytime I try to host a server with that map (or any other map) it opens one of my maps I saved I threw away that map yet it does the same thing
Last edited by dmonkey on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Please explain exactly what you are doing in as much detail as possible.

Or would you prefer that we give you step by step instructions on what to do? If so, we need to know what Operating System you use and what version of BZFlag you have.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
dmonkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dmonkey »

Heres what I do. The first thing I try is just hit command t after saving the map and it opens up bz then it says trying in the chat box then it opens up one of my saved maps (the first one I saved). The next thing I tried was to open the maps folder and put my saved map in there. then i open up bz and go to join then I go to start server I then select the map I made and start the server then I hit esc and it takes me back to the join menu and hit connect and it opens the first map I saved (even though I threw it away)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Well, first off, you should read A Distraction's post and go to the wiki page. You cannot load a map by starting the server from within the game client AFAIK. You need to use bzfs to run the map, the wiki page should help you with that somewhat.

I do not know Macs (I am assuming that is what you are on from your 'command t' reference, cause that's not something from Linux or Windows), so that is about as much help as I can give.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

The BZFlag client on macs does not use the Command key. In the Finder, Command-T is the key sequence to add a file to the sidebar. :-\
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You *can* start a server with a map from within the client. However, there was an "off by one" bug that prevented it from seeing either the first, or the last map.

And in regards to "Command T", perhaps that is a shortcut from within iBZEdit itself?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dmonkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dmonkey »

yes it is from bzedit :D and I will soon post a mor finished version of my map so I can try it on a different computer ... and here it is
Attachments
first_map.bzw
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

here's some very "down to earth" help for mac and windows users that are just getting started. get the .txt files.
It's a little old, but the only change is where it says "bzflag2.0.2" you gotta change that to "bzflag2.0.8" (in the terminal)
It also assumes you have installed your bzflag into the default directories, on mac, that would be the applications folder.

http://cbg.bzflag.org/images/A-Delusion ... c&Windows/
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.