Problem with too high lag

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
jhh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Problem with too high lag

Post by jhh »

I am having problem with my lag. The game says my lag is between 500 and 1000 ms. I'm playing from Finland (Oulu) to a server somewhere in Germany (viper2.pimpi.org). Traceroute and ping says that it's only 30-35 ms to there.. What things could be doing that lag in the game? I first tought it was my ISP even though the connection is VDSL 10/10 but now I'm not sure. After all the ping is only 28 ms to there from a highly secured server in a bunker at Helsinki.
--
JHH
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if your frame rate is very low that will add additional lag while playing, as the network can not processes while the game is drawing.

hit the "T" key to show your frame rate, if it is very low ( under 30 ) then that will add latency to your messages.
ImageJeffM
jhh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jhh »

My framerate is 60-80 when playing with 1600x1050 resolution and with 1024x768 more than 150. Those warnings about lag does not always happen. I was now testing the lag with /lagstatus and it was below 60 every time I checked but I didn't see those server warnings either. I'm probably testing more today evening.
--
JHH
urbanracer34
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by urbanracer34 »

I'm just wondering, are you downloading any Torrents or is someone else in your house being a bandwidth hog? I know when I play and I'm downloading torrents, my lag gets to 500+ ms.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

jhh wrote:My framerate is 60-80 when playing with 1600x1050 resolution and with 1024x768 more than 150. Those warnings about lag does not always happen. I was now testing the lag with /lagstatus and it was below 60 every time I checked but I didn't see those server warnings either. I'm probably testing more today evening.
lag warnings only occur if you are above the server lag limit, it will usually warn you 2-3 times, and then kick you, depending on server, you can also type "o" and press enter, instead of typing /lagstats
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
jhh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jhh »

urbanracer34 wrote:I'm just wondering, are you downloading any Torrents or is someone else in your house being a bandwidth hog? I know when I play and I'm downloading torrents, my lag gets to 500+ ms.
No, I'm not downloading anything. I have a server here also, but it seems to have no activity now. Still, the lag goes up after a short time and seems to be only going up and up. Frame rate is now somewhere ~100 with 1024x768 resolution.

Could this be a "bug" in my client software binary? It's locally compiled newest client (2.0.8 ) but libraries in which it may depend are perhaps been changed in normal package upgrades. I remember that kind of cases from other programs. Best to test this one next.
--
JHH
jhh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jhh »

Davy Jones wrote:lag warnings only occur if you are above the server lag limit, it will usually warn you 2-3 times, and then kick you, depending on server, you can also type "o" and press enter, instead of typing /lagstats
I know that. They kick me also manually because of that lag. It's hard to try finding the reason when they do that. :-/

(PS: Recompiling the client binary didn't fix the lag)
--
JHH