Elevators & Escalators

User made maps to use on servers.
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Elevators & Escalators

Post by flying_popcorn »

This is my map called "Elevators & Escalators." It is a no jumping map where you have to use escalators and elevators to go to different heights.

Thanks for looking!

Currently being hosted at bzfmaps.net:7003

Edit: Uploaded v1.1. Less flags, and I think I fixed the problem with getting stuck under escalators.
Edit: Uploaded v1.2. Fixed a few bugs where team flags could be put in inaccessible positions.
Attachments
elevatorsandescalators.bzw
Version 1.2
(30.07 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Last edited by flying_popcorn on Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

This looks really interesting, flying_popcorn. Is it hosted anywhere?

Edit: I noticed that the only way to successfully move on the escalators is to remain perfectly still. Driving forwards causes you to stop, and backwards makes you fall back down backwards. This is not a huge problem, but will continue to be a sliver in my mind for some time. But I suppose there is no way to fix this. The map is very cool as a whole. Also, there is a problem with people driving under the escalators and then getting stuck between the ground and the bottom of the escalator.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I hope if and when this is hosted, that it is hosted without flags.

Great idea, should play well :)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Just played on it... really nice.

I agree with Grace F that when it is hosted it would be best without flags, unless of course, they were not superflags. Might be nice to have Narrow, Tiny, Shield, or a flag of that sort.

As A Distraction already said, you have to sit still on the escalators to make them work. Nice work with the _maxBumpHeight variable... some really neat steps and spirals and things. Really, with what you're trying to do, you can't get a whole lot better on bzflag at this point. Sure, there are bugs; you may get stuck, fall, or not bounce and climb correctly... but it still looks to be really fun. Especially with more than just myself at a test server. 8)

I'm lovin' your maps, popcorn. Good to have you back!
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

Thanks for the comments!

It's not hosted anywhere currently, but if/when it gets hosted, I'll post the server:port so you can see it. :D
Edit: hosted at bzfmaps.net:7003

Yes, you do have to sit still on the escalators. I don't think it's possible to make it not do that. It works by using physics drivers + _noClimb 0, so you have to be going a specific speed.

I didn't notice you could get stuck under the escalators. I'll come up with a way to fix that soon.

You said that sometimes you don't bounce into the right spot -- if you're talking about the two bouncies in the corners, you're supposed to pick up one of the wings flags next to it before bouncing. (the wings let you drive in the air and have low gravity)

Hmmm... I think you're right about no flags. I would probably leave some flags, like one or two of each of these: N, T, SH, F, V, QT, JP, and maybe CL & ST, but remove L, GM, SW, SB, etc. I'll see what I can do about the flags...

EDIT: Now uploaded v1.1. Less flags, and you can't get stuck under escalators now.
Last edited by flying_popcorn on Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Screenies?
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

now hosted on bzflag3.norang.ca port 5189

Have Fun
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

GREAT map. Played there yesterday and had a blast.

One of the cool things is that while usually being on top of a box is an advantage, riding up the escalators means you get to shoot first.

I noticed something however: you can get sealed on the spiral staircase in the middle. Usually you pop right back out, but it happened once with the tiny flag and I had to self destruct.
Join MI6!
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

Map updated to 1.2.
I found that there were lots of places you could drop the team flag that were completely inaccessible. (such as on the top walls in the elevators) Now fixed in 1.2.

that exploding tank: There are screenshots... Look at the first post
Marzipan: Thanks for hosting it. Now you can play it at either bzfmaps.net:7003 or bzflag3.norang.ca:5189.
Joe-Schmoe: Thanks! Glad you liked it. I'll look into the problem with the stairs.
captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by captainmack »

this is my favorite map of all time and has inspired me to learn how to create my own maps. i have no idea what i am doing though, lol