League Connect

Discussion for GU League Players
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

League Connect

Post by mrapple »

Recently there has been some development on the basis of Web League. As most of you probably know, Web League is the software used to manage GU, Pillbox, Ducati, and others.

The software that is currently being used (WebLeague 2.0 by menotume) is out of date, not up to snuff, and should simple be thrown away.

People have been developing new sites, but they have been in a closed source environment from the time of birth. League Connect, however, is different.

We're welcoming all PHP developers on bzflag from far and wide that might want to help. You can take a look at the project over at http://leagueconnect.googlecode.com.

Let me know if your interested, what you want to see from the project, etc.

Are there things you currently don't like about web league? Things you wish were different? Let us know below.

Current Project Helpers
  • mrapple
  • Yassen
  • Cobra_Fast
  • Nitroxis
We need your help, don't be afraid to submit patches/issues/requests at http://code.google.com/p/leagueconnect/issues/entry

Thanks everyone, I really think we'll be able to make something good out of this.

-apple
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: League Connect

Post by mrapple »

Just a quick update--

Right now as we switch over from MySQL to PDO and incorporate the CodeIgniter framework, most things are non functional.

When things are back up and running, I'll update this post so people may continue testing the site.

Also, currently McSpider is working on a new theme that we're planning on implementing. Heres a quick preview, let me know what you think!

-apple

Update: Checkout http://static.bzextreme.com/League/ to see the new template.

Should work in all browsers (except IE6).

Let me know what you like/dislike
Attachments
LeagueC.png
(29.13 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I do like the graphical theme. Aside from that, I don't see much there to judge it by yet. :)
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

The code is there, not implemented.

Currently implementing Code Igniter as we talk.

Our hope is it will make for producing powerful code quick. Anyways, check back in a week or two ;)
Murielle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Murielle »

explain why webleague has to be thrown away? Is it because it is old? That is not a good argument. With such a reason you will also thrown away bzflag an recode it from scratch.

So why, in practice, would league choose to switch for your LeagueConnect? New design is not a reason. New features are not a reason too since new features can also be added to webleague. Security purpose? I think it can also be recovered if people try to do.... Ans i am not sure that there wont be security hole in your code too.

Menotume made a tool that has been widely used in bzflag leagues ... Maybe it deserves that people try to maintain/improve it?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well, let's see. What part of web-league is well written or useful? Pretty much none of it. Garbage gets thrown out. And yes, at some point, the best option for BZFlag as a whole would be to rewrite it (making use of the great game libraries that have been developed since).

Menotume helped develop a league site that is used by our leagues not because it is good, but because it was the only option. The project was abandoned by menotume (and the other web-league devs) and the current version at the bzleague.com site is no longer open-source or Free Software. Why should we help improve it when we cannot even see the latest code?

And I'm not saying that either of the new leagues are good either... I haven't looked at their code enough to make that decision. But a new code base with active development is better than a code base that has dozens of security issues and no (released) updates in years.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)